Materials for bowdrill?

Bow Drill, Hand Drill, Fire Saw, Flint and Steel, etc. What is your favorite method and do you have your own way?

Materials for bowdrill

Postby HaroldSpah » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Ive tested it and looked at the quest. It worked for me, and its a rather simple quest, I dont see anything which could go wrong...

What exactly does he say?
HaroldSpah
Fair Weather Camper

Re: Materials for bowdrill?

Postby Grandpas Place » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:51 pm

As we are coming to mid summer I thought I would add that yucca stalk is the best for drill sets. The yucca has flowered and the stalks are starting to dry out right now.

When I was younger we would make a set from a yucca stalk and then cut a knot off of an oak tree. Carve out a divot in the knot and use it as the bearing block. Before starting rub the top of the spindle on your face between your nose and cheek. Your body produces oil there and you can use it as a natural oil to reduce the friction between the bearing block and spindle.
Grandpas Place
Fair Weather Camper

Postby BigJesse » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:07 pm

The yucca in my area is too pithy. Not strong or big enough to be suitable any type of friction fire. But I have used the right yucca for a hand drill a few times.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
BigJesse
Site Admin

Postby SD Woodsman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:09 pm

I had the same issue with the stalk I found on my first and only attempt at the hand drill. I would have to be in a really bad situation to use that method lol. I didn't do very well on it but will try again when the time is right. Till that time I throw a fire steel and lighter in my pocket!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
SD Woodsman
Wet Tinder

Postby singletree04 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:10 pm

I have had good luck with juniper, make sure to use the white wood only, however the red can work but there is an extreme amount of sap that makes it very difficult. Yucca is outstanding if you get it before it's too rotten. Pine works good if it is white or grey in color, yellow or Amber means too much sap. Giant rag weed and devils walking stick works with a two stick hearth, I used Yucca for the spindle but the same plant should work. If you have sycamore it is one of my favorites.
Eric Singleton
Magnolia Tx
singletree04
Fair Weather Camper

Previous

Return to Fire Methods