KBT's first F&S fire

Bow Drill, Hand Drill, Fire Saw, Flint and Steel, etc. What is your favorite method and do you have your own way?

KBT's first F&S fire

Postby akbowen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:09 am

My friend Kendal lights his first flint and steel fire in a large tinderbox that started life as a flea-collar tin. It's dark because we get off of work at about 4, and the sun went down at about 6:00, so the camp was a bit rushed, especially with having to construct a new chippewa kitchen style firepit.
Having never seen one, I asked my master for a tree. Into my open palm, he put an acorn. "Is that all," I inquired of him. "It is enough," he replied.
akbowen
Fair Weather Camper

Re: KBT's first F&S fire

Postby jeffro » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:19 am

Well done Kendall.
Conjugus non unum
jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Postby BigJesse » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:16 am

Good job.

bigjesse@txbushcraft.com
BigJesse
Site Admin

Postby NeckRed Gringo » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Good work man!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
NeckRed Gringo
Artist Formerly Known as SD Woodsman

Postby Hammbone » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:01 am

Looking good!
Hammbone
Wet Tinder

Postby DBX » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:03 am

Good work!
My favorite method!
"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." -Troll wisdom

Climate change started with the Big Bang.
DBX
Camp Curmudgeon Master Edge Technician

Postby YoungBlacksmith » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:26 pm

I haven't seen catching sparks in the tin before, interesting method. And using the twig as a fire carrier to light the pile was interesting as well. Usually you see guys holding a bit of char cloth on top of the flint, and striking down into it, then placing that in a tinder bundle to blow into flame.
YoungBlacksmith
Fair Weather Camper

Postby akbowen » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:05 am

YoungBlacksmith wrote:I haven't seen catching sparks in the tin before, interesting method. And using the twig as a fire carrier to light the pile was interesting as well. Usually you see guys holding a bit of char cloth on top of the flint, and striking down into it, then placing that in a tinder bundle to blow into flame.

The tin was a re-purposed flea-collar tin. In my opinion, charred punkwood is a far superior tinder when compared to charcloth. Charcloth requires the sacrifice of cloth, a manufactured item, where punkwood is readily available from natural processes. Further, catching the sparks in a tin allows you to kindle a bed of embers and transfer that heat to another material which can serve as a "match" to transfer flame to your fire-lay. I should point out, however, that absolutely NONE of the above was my idea. I got it from Justin, whose youtube channel Grierwolfe, showed me a way to incorporate flint and steel as one of my primary ignition sources, rather than as a backup or a curiosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYEnrbZWMaU

The "twig" was, in fact, another kit item: I call them long-candles. It's a piece of thick-gauge jute twine that has been dipped in beeswax, but only a single time. The twine is impregnated with the wax, and is effectively a waterproof firestarter. When paired with the friction-lid tinerderbox of the style that that I prefer to use, which itself is waterproof if left unpunctured, or if the smoke-hole is taped over, you have a primitive fire system that will stand up to damp conditions. The catch on the long-candles is that you have to be patient and wait for the wax to melt while holding the tip to the bed of embers. Other "match" items could be used to transfer the flame, too-- I have used grass bundles and feathersticks-- but the long-candles are nice to have, easy to make, easy to manipulate since the wax makes them quite stiff, and relatively slow burning.

Thanks for the comment!
Having never seen one, I asked my master for a tree. Into my open palm, he put an acorn. "Is that all," I inquired of him. "It is enough," he replied.
akbowen
Fair Weather Camper

Postby TheBeardedBurton » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:55 pm

Justin is a great dude and full of knowledge on his channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"Get Outdoors and find the adventure in life. Grow your beard. Bangarang."
TheBeardedBurton
Fair Weather Camper

Return to Fire Methods