Traditional Bows

Spears, Atlatl, Bow, Throwing Sticks, Primitive Nets, Fishing Line, Hooks, etc.

Traditional Bows

Postby Bear » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:25 am

Ok everyone I would like to see your traditional bows. I would also like to know about them when you show us. For those of you that don't have a bow right now but would like one how much is too much for a handmade bow? I'm really interested in because I would like to get one and have not been into Archery since I was a teen.
Bear
Fair Weather Camper

Re: Traditional Bows

Postby BigJesse » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:00 pm

I've follow a couple of bow makers on FB and the prices vary drastically. Most are long bows rarely do I see a handmade recurve. Robert Garcia has been making bows for quite awhile and I've seen him sell them for $300, which seems to be a regular price. Granted I don't know much about bows but I'd say thats an average price range.

I'm assuming that there are a few people on here that are a lot more knowledgeable than me and can chime in.
BigJesse
Site Admin

Postby Texas Hangman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:45 pm

I know this is a late post, but I thought I'd add to this thread since I'm a fan of traditional archery. I haven't shot in a while, but I do have 3 bows. Don't have pics, but I do have this short video of my Fox Custom Longbow. Jesse is pretty spot on with the price, but you can find used bows for around $100-$200. I believe my Fox Custom was around $200 new.

Texas Hangman
Wet Tinder

Postby MLarson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:59 pm

Late reply but, I found this guy on ebay a long while ago. Been planning to pick up one of his bows eventually. Haven't done it yet so, I can't say how good/bad they are. Seems to have a lot of positive reviews though.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/kparchery14?_tr ... 7675.l2559
MLarson
Fair Weather Camper

Postby Texas Hangman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:20 pm

MLarson wrote:Late reply but, I found this guy on ebay a long while ago. Been planning to pick up one of his bows eventually. Haven't done it yet so, I can't say how good/bad they are. Seems to have a lot of positive reviews though.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/kparchery14?_tr ... 7675.l2559

I have one of his bows. I hate to say it, but it's trash. It doesn't return to its original shape after being strung just once (for a few minutes at that!). There's just no spring to it. It feels soggy. The bow was so garbage, but the guy sent a nice letter and I felt too bad to say anything or leave negative feedback so I just didn't leave any.

I think Bear would be better off tracking down a used bow for $80-$100. Hell, PSE has a nice traditional looking bow for $29.99 at BassPro. Not a fan of BassPro, but that PSE would be loads better.

http://www.basspro.com/PSE-Archery-Snak ... 811283511/
Texas Hangman
Wet Tinder

Postby MLarson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I suppose I will look elsewhere when the time comes.
MLarson
Fair Weather Camper

Postby Texas Hangman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:18 pm

No problem. I would want someone to tell me if they were junk before spending my money. If you don't mind that low of quality, you can just make one yourself. The thing really is just an untreated stick crudely carved into a bow. It's worth it if you make it yourself, but not to pay someone $40 for. Especially when there are better quality products for just a little bit more (Or less sometimes). I hope that makes sense.
Texas Hangman
Wet Tinder

Postby DBX » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Another to stay away from is Seigework Archery.

They may be under another name by now, but the guys name is David and he is located around East Texas. He also make the rounds at some of the RenFests.
"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." -Troll wisdom

Climate change started with the Big Bang.
DBX
Camp Curmudgeon Master Edge Technician

Return to Primitive & Modern Hunting Weapon/Fishing Tackle