Mosquito Net for Hammock

Multi-tools, Compasses, Wet Weather Notepads, Mosquito Nets, any tool not covered in other categories.

Mosquito Net for Hammock

Postby sarawithouth » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:18 am

Any recommendations for either an add-on mosquito net or a simple DIY? I have 3 hammocks to outfit before the mosquitos get too bad.
sarawithouth
Fair Weather Camper

Re: Mosquito Net for Hammock

Postby Wildcat » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:29 pm

academy sells skeeter net or you can buy netting by the yard at fabric store in the colors you want. drape it over ridge line and use safety pins to attach. i also recommend getting everyone a thermacell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wildcat
Wet Tinder

Postby sarawithouth » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:05 pm

Oh, thermacells are a great idea. And safety pinned mosquito netting sounds simple enough.
sarawithouth
Fair Weather Camper

Postby Scratch4x4 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:18 am

ENO guardian bugnet is what I use. If your in a gathered end hammock, itll work.
If you do use a bugnet, be sure to have it setup so that your hammock is close to the top of it before you get in. The hammock will sag a bit and you want some space between the net and your hammock or the skeeters will bite right through it. I dont use a pad in my hammock, and have experienced the fly bitten back. It sucks. Course it didn't help that I set up by a still water creek. In the bottom of a draw with no breeze. Like an idiot. But the worst night camping is still better than the best day indoors.
Scratch4x4
Fair Weather Camper

Postby sarawithouth » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:58 am

I ended up making one using the sheer window panels from Wal-mart and a friend's sewing machine. It worked really well, but it was quite hot at the beginning of the night and my kids also kept coming and going and let a few mosquitos in. Still, for $15 bucks (max) per net, I'd say it's a good solution.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hammock-Bug-Net-Cheap/
sarawithouth
Fair Weather Camper

Return to Tools