Plowpoint Dirt-Time and Practice

What is your favorite shelter? Tarp, light weight tent, under the stars?

Plowpoint Dirt-Time and Practice

Postby akbowen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:53 am

Submitted for the review, critique, and roasting of my peers, here is me practicing a plowpoint shelter about 100 yards from the house on a 34 degree winter's day. Hit me!
Having never seen one, I asked my master for a tree. Into my open palm, he put an acorn. "Is that all," I inquired of him. "It is enough," he replied.
akbowen
Fair Weather Camper

Re: Plowpoint Dirt-Time and Practice

Postby jeffro » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:17 am

Good job, I would make sure that the back was to the wind and the sides were staked down tight to the ground. Build your fire in front with a reflector on the backside to put some heat into your shelter. If you could get a space blanket on the inside of that tarp it would reflect heat down on you. That wool blanket is there to keep you clean inside a debris bed, the debris is there to keep you warm. Good music.
Conjugus non unum
jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Postby RMAR » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:48 am

Maybe next time a bushcraft welcome mat to wipe those boots off.
RMAR
Professional Baton Maker

Postby BigJesse » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:14 am

Well done. That is my favorite tarp shelter. A plow point. I normally like to have my center tieout hoisted up as well so I can keep the entrance low but still maintain a decent amount of headroom. I've found it easier to stake the tail corner and tie the front corner then stake out everything else and then finally raise my center, everything stays nice and tight that way.

Like this set up I did at one of our East Texas excursions:
12974511_10154027745885169_4962387739501069805_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bigjesse@txbushcraft.com
BigJesse
Site Admin

Postby akbowen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:52 am

jeffro wrote:Good job, I would make sure that the back was to the wind and the sides were staked down tight to the ground. Build your fire in front with a reflector on the backside to put some heat into your shelter. If you could get a space blanket on the inside of that tarp it would reflect heat down on you. That wool blanket is there to keep you clean inside a debris bed, the debris is there to keep you warm. Good music.

Jeffro, here's where I may need some correction: my understanding (and I haven't conducted this experiment yet) was that if you situate a shelter with back-to-wind, that it'll scoop the smoke of your fire back into you. Then, I heard somebody else say that if you tension the center tie-out, which I did, that it'll split the wind around you, which should avoid that effect. Thoughts?
Having never seen one, I asked my master for a tree. Into my open palm, he put an acorn. "Is that all," I inquired of him. "It is enough," he replied.
akbowen
Fair Weather Camper

Postby akbowen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:54 am

RMAR wrote:Maybe next time a bushcraft welcome mat to wipe those boots off.

:lol: You ain't kidding, brother! That mix of clay and sand makes a boot heavy! . . . I . . . uh . . . also tracked a lot of mud onto my ground-tarp.
akbowen
Fair Weather Camper

Postby Hammbone » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:13 am

Great music and video! How did the blankets do? 34 degrees is pretty chilly!
Hammbone
Wet Tinder

Postby akbowen » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:11 am

Hammbone wrote:Great music and video! How did the blankets do? 34 degrees is pretty chilly!

Off-camera, I practiced wrapping up in my new queen size blanket. My assessment was that it would be a manageable sleep, but I wanted a fire. Ultimately, my fire-making attempts were thwarted by my own stupidity (I tried to shortcut it on a damp day), and my camera ran out of batteries, so I packed it in.
akbowen
Fair Weather Camper

Postby NeckRed Gringo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Ya that rain will get ya. I remember a time me and Pointman went out and I was literally huddled over the fire trying to keep the rain off it. Cold, wet, and memorable.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
NeckRed Gringo
Artist Formerly Known as SD Woodsman

Return to Shelter