Planning a Canoe Build

Tim
Fair Weather Camper

Planning a Canoe Build

Post by Tim »

I'm surprised there hasn't been any post in the canoe/paddling section yet. I'm new here and I have been planning a canoe build for a little while now. I'm just about finished with a couple of other projects, and will be getting to this one soon. Instead of designing my own, I decided to buy plans. A couple of months ago I purchased plans from JEM watercraft for their Sasquatch 16-33. The overall length is 16'6" with a 33" Beam. As much as I like strip canoes, this will be a complicated stitch and glue using Okoume plywood. The size and shape can either be paddled solo or multiple paddlers. I have included a couple images from the JEM website so y'all can get an idea of how it will look completed.

Hopefully I can get started on it soon.
BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: Planning a Canoe Build

Post by BigJesse »

Awesome man. Its an incredible skill.
2021 - 13 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook
timairborne
Fair Weather Camper

Post by timairborne »

They are nice, but personally I dont have anywhere near the tools or experience to try it. Id just go buy one of those cheapo 1 man kayaks from academy or something lol.
jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Post by jeffro »

Tim, That's a fine looking canoe. I built many "Gators" and a couple of "Crocs" from gatorboats.com. Easy builds and I still have the plans. If you epoxy coat the wood to completely encapsulate it you can get by with luan plywood, I don't think it really has enough voids to be a problem for paddle driven watercraft and it costs a fraction of what marine grade plywood costs. Put your money into glass and epoxy the ty-wraps and luan ply are cheap. Avoid the polyester resin at Wally World put your monry into the marine grade resin from West Marine. Start saving the wood flour from your belt sander your going to need it.
Conjugus non unum
Tim
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tim »

Jeffro, thanks for the tip. I may need to reconsider the luan, I'm not a big fan of the price for okoume ply.
jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Post by jeffro »

I did use regular old A/C or A/B plywood from Homerworld on a few boats but luan ply would have been just as good. Painted them with OOPs paint I found in the bargain bin. Found some Seafoam Green for the inside and a few quarts of Slate Blue and Off White mixed together they made Battleship Gray. Use Enamel type paint.
Conjugus non unum
twain55
Wet Tinder

Post by twain55 »

Impressive.
real_steel
Wet Tinder

Post by real_steel »

I wish we could plan a canoe trip. I have regular old store bought canoe. I've never done it mostly because of the lack of flowing, navigable water (in my area) and the logistics of being dropped off at one place and picked up at another.
real_steel
Tim
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tim »

Well, most of the waters I will be on will be smaller lakes and what not. I have been to a couple of locations that are a couple hours away from me that has some good moving waters.
Seeker
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Seeker »

I built a Eureka 155 out of luann, covering the edges with West System epoxy before taping it. It's 7 years old now, and still going strong.

What model is that in the initial post? Looks really nice!
"Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir