I was on a horse ride at Big Bend National Park when....

Stories. From the unaccustomed camper to a heroic voyage through turmoil.

I was on a horse ride at Big Bend National Park when....

Postby 00 Turok » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:05 pm

SUDDENLY.... a dragon swooped down from the sky, showering the landscape in fire!
It landed upon a cliff just above me! I quickly drew my sword & I shouted... "FUS ROH DA!"

No... wait. Wrong story. That happened in Skyrim.

I was 13, on a horse back ride, at Big Bend National Park, with my grandparents.
I don't remember exactly were, but after a 4 hour ride, we came up to the campsite where we were going have lunch, before our ride back.

Like any 13 year old... well... maybe not like any... more like any insatiablely curious 13 year old... I wandered away from camp & went exploring.
I found this ravine, about 20 feet deep, that had really smooth surfaces on the ground & walls that rose up around it; like water, from a river, eroded the area.

At the end of the ravine, was a cliff edge high above the landscape below. Beyond it as far as the eye could see, was a wild, isolated desert wilderness far from human civilization.

And I saw a squirrel. I did a quick double take, looked around for some trees & couldn't find any.
I found myself confused. "Squirrels live out here?"
"REALLY?"

Anyway, I crept closer to the cliff edge to see how high up the ravine was.

It was pretty high up.

So I turned around, to head back to camp, & not more than a 100 feet away, stood a mountain lion in the middle of the ravine floor.
20 foot high walls around me, a cliff behind me, l had nowhere to run.

Oh and in case yall are wondering, I was unarmed too, because 13 year olds don't carry guns.
All I had on me at the time was a Victorinox Swiss Army knife, which was rather pathetic.

Panicked I stood there watching the cat just stare back at me.
For 10 minutes we just stood there, waiting.
Then I got tired so I sat down, cross legged, with my forearms laid over my knees; & Mr. Kitty sat down too, sphinx style.

And that's how it was for the next 30 minutes, reenacting a scene from Conan the Barbarian before the 1st pit fight.

I know, because I had a watch, so I timed it. I mean, what else was I gonna do? Wield my Swiss Army knife in an epic duel?
I would do better with a rock.

So after the 30 minutes, I said to the cat, "Are you gonna eat me, or just sit there until the desert sun turns us into jerky?"

Mr. Kitty looked around, yawned, slowly rose to his feet, casually stretched his back, then jumped from ledge to ledge & crawled out of the ravine.

Huh...

And obviously Mr. Kitty did not eat me & I made it back to camp, otherwise yall wouldn't be reading this story. :mrgreen:
00 Turok
Fair Weather Camper

Re: I was on a horse ride at Big Bend National Park when....

Postby BigJesse » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:44 pm

If only you were actually dragonborn. LOL Great post. Thanks for sharing.
BigJesse
Site Admin

Return to Around the Fire