The Island with my nephew

Stories. From the unaccustomed camper to a heroic voyage through turmoil.
BigJesse
Site Admin

The Island with my nephew

Post by BigJesse »

My nephew Ryan an I went out to The Island yesterday (6/28/14) for just a day thing. Showed up around 9am, took the trail. So much Poison Ivy that I think I may be immune to it now. I set up my hammock and tarp. He had never REALLY gone out like this before so I'm showing him some tarp stuff, the "A-frame" is a good beginners set up. He used real_steel's previous bed and just set up his tarp on top of it. We hung out for a while, he fished almost the whole day and didn't catch anything.

This is where the story gets good.... I was tromping around barefoot as I do in some grass up to my chin (near the Mulberry tree for those who know the area.) I stepped on something squishy and thought, "Well, that's warm." Then I felt something smack my ankle, I look down and see a huge black snake I jump back and let out some kind of primeval roar. I immediately assume I got bit and vigorously search my foot for a bite. It didn't bite me. Thankfully. I grabbed my shoes and went hunting for it. Never found it. I'm still not 100% sure what kind of snake it was but I believe it was rat snake. The markings were black with white blotches... I think. I didn't get a great look at it. lol

So after that strange and frankly SCARY AS SH!T encounter we decide to go swimming. We're in the water for about an hour when I see a some marking from our newest addition to the fauna at The Island, nutria. While showing Ryan I see some bank line tied to the same Willow sapling. I pull on it to see long long it is and it starts pulling back. At this point I have no idea what is on the other end of the line. I keep pulling cautiously and its a good sized living catfish. You could tell it had been on the line for a week or maybe even longer. It had scar tissue around the hook where it had tried to break free and the hook had dislodged the eye on that side. We did the obvious. We ate it. I think it sitting there may have done something to the meat. It was terrible. Lesson learned.

As we were packing up OscarMike512 showed up with his wife to camp out for the night. Small world. We chatted for awhile and Ryan and I headed out.

All in all a very eventful and fun day trip. The snake encounter has made me seriously reconsider the barefoot thing... but... I'm hard headed and hard footed, so I MIGHT buy some of those fancy Palladium cause they're not as heavy as other boots. On the other hand, I wouldn't have know I was standing on a snake if I had my shoes on.... there's something to think about.

Here are a few pics I took:
100_1593.JPG
100_1595.JPG
100_1596.JPG
100_1594.JPG
100_1601.JPG
100_1604.JPG
100_1608.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2021 - 13 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook
Jake Parker
Fair Weather Camper

Re: The Island with my nephew

Post by Jake Parker »

What's the 10-20 of this island? I have been kicking the idea around if island hopping/camping.
Some of the islands will need to be accessed by kayak only.
"I'd rather have overkill, than be killed" my quote when building anything.
BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse »

Jake Parker wrote:What's the 10-20 of this island? I have been kicking the idea around if island hopping/camping.
Some of the islands will need to be accessed by kayak only.
Just off the Lampasas River bridge downstream in Kempner TX. I have since learned that camping on islands are a legal grey area to say the least.
2021 - 13 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook
Jake Parker
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Jake Parker »

Thats perfect, as Ive also been perfecting my "grey man" technic! 😁😉
"I'd rather have overkill, than be killed" my quote when building anything.