Travelling with gear on airplanes

Share your sources for researching, identifying, learning, etc. Books, websites, videos, etc.

Travelling with gear on airplanes

Postby NeckRed Gringo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 am

Good morning fellas, I am planning to take a trip to Montana glacier national park this September with my wife. We plan on hiking and staying in a canvas tent up there for about 4 days. How hard is it to fly with the gear needed to take on a task like this? Btw, this is super bear country, black and grizzley are not an uncommon occurrence here. I want to carry at least the 10c's for me and the wife. I will not be hiking with any snacks or food. We will be leaving that in the bear vault at the site we are staying at. Thank you guys for the information in advance. Ps, a knife will be in the inventory (possibly a mora HD carbon 14 dollar blade)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
NeckRed Gringo
Artist Formerly Known as SD Woodsman

Re: Travelling with gear on airplanes

Postby BigJesse » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Coming from a guy that has never flown... I'd say just put everything in your carry on. LOL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bigjesse@txbushcraft.com
BigJesse
Site Admin

Postby YoungBlacksmith » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Most of the stuff you could fly with could easily be checked. It's really weight dependent now, they charge by the pound. Explosive, fuel, and firearms are not easy to fly with. Knives are really not a big deal when in your checked luggage.

Another option you may consider is Fed-exing them to yourself. A few days before you fly find out the most convenient fed ex hold location. Have them shipped to you, from you, hold for pickup. A few days later you fly up there, rent your vehicle, pick up the goods, and you're on your way. Coming home is the same thing, fed-ex it to yourself. Fed Ex holds packages for 5 days without any issues, so if you're a day late, no big deal.
YoungBlacksmith
Fair Weather Camper

Postby YoungBlacksmith » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:27 pm

As far as bears and GNP goes, I got nothing.
YoungBlacksmith
Fair Weather Camper

Postby Woodsman Wannabe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 pm

I have flown a good bit....
You cannot fly with a liquid fuel stove. Brand new, yes, but once it has had fuel in it, your chances of getting it through security are pretty much zilch.
You can fly with a canister stove, but not the canisters. Twig stoves are no problem (but put it in a zip lock)
Check with the airline you are flying about firearms & ammunition. Some airlines say no, some are in line with the TSA regs. (check the TSA website for their latest)
Sharp things, (knives, camp axe etc,) should not be a problem in your checked bags, have the edges covered with tape at the least. Eating utensils I would put in checked bags to avoid any hassle. Cookware can be carry on as long as you separate out any sharp things.
Buy matches/lighters at your destination and leave them there. They are not expensive items.

For the rest of your gear, you will be fine. Bigger items, like tent, sleeping bags & the bear canister, you should probably ship just because of the bulk.
If you have a concern, check with TSA or the airline in advance.

YMMV
Woodsman Wannabe
Fair Weather Camper

Postby NeckRed Gringo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:24 am

BigJesse wrote:Coming from a guy that has never flown... I'd say just put everything in your carry on. LOL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Haha, then those survival skills may pay off in federal prison.

NeckRed Gringo

Postby NeckRed Gringo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:50 am

Thank you guys for the advice. I didn't even stop to think about the things that take fuel. I would have been popped on the lighters for sure. Going to break my kit out and sort through what I will really need.

NeckRed Gringo

Return to Recommendations