Building a Raised Bed

Tell us what is coming up. If you're going for a day hike or a month long excursion.
BigJesse
Site Admin

Building a Raised Bed

Post by BigJesse » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:58 pm

I guess this is the best thread to put it in. LOL.
Anyway, Grizzlee and I had a very eventful overnight at The Island this past weekend.
I built a raised bed with nothing but a folding saw and an axe. Cooked a couple steaks and potatoes on a rock. Grizzlee caught dinner for himself. 3 large bluegill, we broke down each others pack scrutinizing everything we could and finally we got run off by some ill informed sheriffs the next morning, no repercussions were had. (Don't worry I'll be posting a LONG very detailed thread about navigable waterways very soon).
With all that said, here is a video of the bed I made.
[youtube][/youtube]

Oathkeeper762
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Building a Raised Bed

Post by Oathkeeper762 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Nicely done, sorry to hear about the run in with the Leo's. We had a great place we used to fish on the Blanco but we finally gave up. We got hassled every time we went even though we were floating clearly navigable waters and launched and took out at public access. The landowners asserted they owned to the middle of the river and evidently were well connected with local law enforcement. We had a game warden who helped explain Texas law to a couple local ranchers trying to help us out but in the end we decided to just avoid the hassle and gave up. It was great fishing though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:40 pm

I have a feeling it'll end that way here. :(

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Post by jeffro » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:07 pm

I have had the same trouble on the Blanco River in Wimberly. We were wade fishing and the Sheriff came out to run us off for the same reason, the landowner claimed that by old Spanish land grant they owned to the center of the riverbed. I am under the impression that the State of Texas owns the riverbed up to the high water mark on a navigable river and if you can float a canoe on it it is navigable. Being as we were not taxpayers and the Sheriff is receiving his wages from the local taxpayers we didn't stand a snowballs chance in hell and even his understanding of the statutes didn't matter when compared to his paycheck and upcoming election. We have suffered with this problem for many years as a Fly fisherman. I never have been hassled by a Game Warden now who'da thunk that.
Conjugus non unum

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:45 pm

jeffro wrote:I have had the same trouble on the Blanco River in Wimberly. We were wade fishing and the Sheriff came out to run us off for the same reason, the landowner claimed that by old Spanish land grant they owned to the center of the riverbed. I am under the impression that the State of Texas owns the riverbed up to the high water mark on a navigable river and if you can float a canoe on it it is navigable. Being as we were not taxpayers and the Sheriff is receiving his wages from the local taxpayers we didn't stand a snowballs chance in hell and even his understanding of the statutes didn't matter when compared to his paycheck and upcoming election. We have suffered with this problem for many years as a Fly fisherman. I never have been hassled by a Game Warden now who'da thunk that.
Yeah, I've spoken to the Game Warden multiple times about this. He even remembers the Gathering we had out there, referring to us as the "survival fellas". I actually called him as the sheriffs were yelling at me from across the river. He confirmed that I was in the right, but to avoid any repercussions in the future we left. When I got to the bank (assuming they would be there waiting) I called the sheriffs office and they patched me through to the one that were there. He sounded... er.... apologetic without apologizing. He still tried to tell me I was trespassing by walking on the bank. Then I sited a few of lines from the laws and he backtracked. We ended the conversation by agreeing to disagree and him telling me to contact the Game Warden the next time I decide to go out there. Which I will.
But to play devil's advocate I completely understand the "land owner's" discomfort with "losing" a good 3 acres of real estate to mother nature. But suck it up, laws are laws.

Grizzlee
Fair Weather Camper
Been thanked: 0

Post by Grizzlee » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:13 am

Definitely had an excellent time out there with Jesse. Jessie built a sweet raised bed. I built a bench. We had a good fire and ate well. It is a shame that we may lose rights to the "Island". I sure loved having a place to go that close to home. I have been super busy, and sometimes can only manage a quick overnight. The "Island" was perfect. Now, I guess it will have to be a couple hours drive to a national forest for us. =/