local areas with in central Texas for day gathering or 2or 3

Tell us what is coming up. If you're going for a day hike or a month long excursion.
cbrown3678
Fair Weather Camper

local areas with in central Texas for day gathering or 2or 3

Post by cbrown3678 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:54 am

I have been driving around alot lately looking for places to camp and or hike that doesn't cost money or at least not alot of money. Iron bridge is a nice area just got to call Corp of engineers to see if camping is allowed out there. there is another spot out off of 2410 by stillhouse hollow that has a small parking area and a nice hike to the water but again not sure of camping regulations. there used to be a place between kempner and lampasas called gunderland park my family used to go there when I was a kid. Really nice area lots of big shade trees picnic tables and a few rope swings out into the water. That was back in the 80's tho.

BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: local areas with in central Texas for day gathering or 2

Post by BigJesse » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Most Corp land doesn't allow camping in undeveloped areas. I know the corp land off of Stillhouse doesnt (learned the hard way). They do have developed camping though, Dana Peak being one site.
There are very few options for us. State parks are very limiting and national parks are few and far between.
The best option is private land, which is something I don't have. I've talked to multiple people about having a gathering on their land but most people are hesitant to say the least. You know how Texans are about their land.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

YoungBlacksmith
Fair Weather Camper

Re: local areas with in central Texas for day gathering or 2

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Part of my issue is I'm not central Texas, or easily located. I'm further than Davy Crockett for most of you.
Aaron