Natural tinders

Bow Drill, Hand Drill, Fire Saw, Flint and Steel, etc. What is your favorite method and do you have your own way?
DBX
Camp Curmudgeon Master Edge Technician

Re: Natural tinders

Post by DBX » Fri May 02, 2014 10:11 am

Nope, curls with the quarter round. When working with shorter pieces I tend to be REAL careful. So it makes much finer curls. Good curls, no blood... I'm happy!

Now I'm gonna turn into a coyote and eat the Nabors cat. - M/BK TP #27 BS #76
"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." -Troll wisdom

Climate change started with the Big Bang.

dragogt
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dragogt » Tue May 13, 2014 7:38 am

What knife is that?

Good work btw, and just an fyi for anybody that uses android (phone or tablet) "Lapse It" is an app that will let you do time lapse videos..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DBX
Camp Curmudgeon Master Edge Technician

Post by DBX » Tue May 13, 2014 10:09 am

This one is an U.S. Knife, made by Ontario.

This one is is the Tom Brown Tracker TBT-010, made by Tops.

Now I'm gonna turn into a coyote and eat the Nabors cat. - M/BK TP #27 BS #76
"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." -Troll wisdom

Climate change started with the Big Bang.

dragogt
Fair Weather Camper

Post by dragogt » Tue May 13, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

singletree04
Fair Weather Camper

Post by singletree04 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:13 pm

I like char for ferro rod or flint and steel, you can char saw dust, cattail (or any kind of) fluff, horse hoof fungus, almost any kind of fungus, dried or charred usnea, punk wood, any kind of cotton cloth or wick, cedar/juniper bark..... Making char and keeping it dry is an almost guaranteed next fire. If you don't have char then find flash tinder like cattail fluff or even scrape a knife over your cotton clothes to get some fluff. Carry an altoids tin with you (no hole needed) to make char. Good luck.
Eric Singleton
Magnolia Tx

NETSEO Outdoorsman
Fair Weather Camper

Post by NETSEO Outdoorsman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:21 am

I concur with shredded and fluffed cedar bark. I use pine fatwood, but I realize that doesn’t grow everywhere in Texas. As far as ferro rods, I like using and practicing with them, but when you need a fire, you NEED a fire. So I always carry a bic as backup, and ten more in my pack as backups to my backup.
These users thanked the author NETSEO Outdoorsman for the post:
BigJesse (Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:17 pm)
Rating: 11.11%

Squirrel_Master
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Squirrel_Master » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:04 pm

I have been experimenting with dry cedar (juniper) bark, and found it to still require a finer tinder source inside of my main tinder bundle, at least for ferro rod combustion. I try to stick to the "softball size" rule to my main tinder bundle, but will be adding the "hen's egg" rule to that, in finding or keeping on my belt a finer tinder source about the size of a hen's egg, to place in my "bird's nest" or soft ball size tinder bundle.

HOWEVER, I have learned after a year's worth of skills courses that not all Ferro Rods are alike, or are of good quality. I have bought the usual 1/2" x 6" ferro rods from Amazon, and found them to be very hard, not soft. I have seen the Self Reliance Outfitters HD6 Ferro rod shower sparks like it was going out of style, because it is a softer composition of metals. I just haven't dropped the money for one yet. Shipping costs from them can get expensive for one-off items like that.

I have yet to char any cedar bark though, I heard about this for the first time about a week ago and it got me super excited. I will try it this weekend for sure! But for immediate tinder, I tend to just go for dry grass, and lots of it, and compact it down to my soft ball size bundle. I dont feel tinder has been my issue for self-sustaining fires, its typically been my kindling being too large to catch, and not enough of it to transfer over to my fuel. I need to work on my kindling selection and preparation processes.

I have been keeping a redundancy of combustion, just in case my L.A.R.P.-ing (live action role playing) woodsman skills dont work to plan, I keep a "live fire" tinder box, for wet fires and wet tinder bundles, and an Exotac Titan Lighter in my Mother Canteen Carrier. The Live Fire tinder box burns for 4 hours when lit, and is the size of a large stick of gum. I like the titan lighter, but I never need it. Its just a back up in case I'm injured and cant use 2 hands to make a fire.

Would love to learn more about Texas tinder sources though. However, I'll say that fungus doesn't seem to be super easy to find around my area.
2019 - 12 Nights
Pathfinder Survival Course Basic
Texas Survival School Basic/Intermediate
https://art-of-lockpicking.com/jesse/
https://www.instagram.com/jesse_marlar/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGfqrr ... WksELEQELg

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:05 pm

I've found old rotten Cottonwood inner bark to be great. It's not necessarily the easiest thing to find but it's worth mentioning. I have a spot I go where a huge Cottonwood was washed up and it's been there since I could remember. One day I was hiking past it and saw this super stringy bark coming off in huge sheets. I took it back to camp and threw a spark at it, didn't even process it down, and it lit up. Unfortunately the resource is rather limited so I try not to use it especially if I have something else. I was even able to harvest and use it during some rain. The underside of the tree was dry.

I've charred punk wood a few times and it's I think it beats out charcloth. Mainly because it's not so brittle and take a flint and steel spark just as easy.

For kindling I usually just make a hat full of feather sticks and shavings. You don't always have the time to do that though so it isn't the best method.
These users thanked the author BigJesse for the post (total 2):
Squirrel_Master (Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:09 am) • YoungBlacksmith (Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:39 am)
Rating: 22.22%