Curious???

Bow Drill, Hand Drill, Fire Saw, Flint and Steel, etc. What is your favorite method and do you have your own way?
saustin1967
One with the Wilderness

Re: Curious???

Post by saustin1967 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:44 am

Yes, a good brass Zippo.
But I must confess, I ascribe to Mr. Canterbury's premiss, that I would rather have 4 of the small BIC lighters(one in every pocket) than just the one Zippo, which is prone to leaking and running out of fluid.
Hard not to agree with the logic.
2020 - 6 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

YoungBlacksmith
Day Hiker

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:47 pm

But you can't get that special feeling when you over-fill Bics!

That's why I stopped carrying them too, ran out of fuel, and it's easier to get a bic into a pipe opening.
Aaron

"G.W. Sears would not have tolerated MRE's, that is not what Woodcraft and Camping is all about." - Jeffro

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:57 pm

I myself, never being a smoker, had never carried any type of lighter. Never a need for it. When I got into bushcraft I felt it was cheating (still do kinda). So I started where most people do, with the old military magnesium striker we've all seen. Then to ferro rods, fire pistons, bow and hand drill. Kinda skipped over the lighter thing. I do however have one in my fire kit. I've used it maybe twice, may not even work anymore.
I hate things in my pockets too. My EDC is as minimal as you can get. Wallet, phone, keys, pocket knife. I'm hard pressed to keep even receipts in there. Just a nuisance IMO.
With all that said I find myself needing a lighter for mundane tasks around the house. Lighting candles, burning paracord, even starting up the charcoal (which I normally use my butane torch for). I really just don't think about them but really should invest in a good Zippo, if for nothing else just to look cool. LOL

PS: You'd think with the amount of rain I endure a surefire way to get a flame would be a must. I'm just hardheaded I guess.
These users thanked the author BigJesse for the post:
Okcmco (Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:06 am)
Rating: 11.11%
2020 - 6 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook