Where/how do you store your food

What items to stock up on, how many batteries do you have in your junk drawer?
Tim
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tim »

We live in the suburbs of Houston, so our house was built quickly without much thought to good storage. The kitchen has a small pantry, but fills up fast with just our weekly needs. I was never one to really think about keeping extra food on hand until about a year ago. Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep our preps organized. Currently I keep most of them in other kitchen cabinets, but it makes it hard to keep organized. We have a under the stairs coat closet pretty close to the kitchen that is pretty deep. I'm thinking about building some shelves init to keep it better organized.

The wife isn't too thrilled about the idea of loosing the coat closet. She argues that we wont have any place to hang our coats. I suggested that we get rid of some of her old clothes hanging in our bedroom closet, and then we would have plenty of space for our coats. She really didn't like that idea.

We will probably make some sort of compromise and build the shelves in the under stair closet with a hook to hang her coat.

I'm just curious on how you all store your extra food and what not.
BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: Where/how do you store your food

Post by BigJesse »

I wish I had extra food. We didn't have the money or the space to prep with food and water until now. Luckily we have an empty garage, which is where I'm going to start.

A small shed would work too.
2021 - 12 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook
twain55
Wet Tinder

Post by twain55 »

I have very limited storage also. I will not keep any food items in my garage or other places that temperatures fluctuate too much. (I'm in S. TX)

I have an extra room in my house we use as an office. I keep my emergency food in the closet in there.

I don't rotate food stores. Would love to but don't have the room or motivation to do that right now.
Tim
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tim »

Well, I don't have much extra food stored up yet, but I plan on getting more. I thought about getting a cheap cabinet for the garage to keep my canned goods in it, but with the heat and now the cold, I don't think thats a great idea.
Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman »

I have to agree with twain55 on not keeping anything in the garage, except maybe water. It just gets too danged hot in the Summer. Fortunately we have a spare bedroom that we put metal shelves in to hold the food stores. Makes it easy to find and rotate stuff. Took for ever to build it up to a three months supply buying just one or two items a week. Retirement on a fixed income leaves little wiggle room in the budget. Now when I need to buy grocery items, I put the new box or can in the food stores in the back and bring the one in front to the kitchen pantry. This way I never have to really check the dates cuz it gets rotated automatically. I have two 7 gallon containers and 10 one gallon containers of filtered water that we rotate thru constantly. I also have a five gallon bucket system with a ceramic filter (and a spare) to filter creek water or lake water if need be. Even if you are not a "prepper", the increase in grocery prices over just the past year is enough motivation to buy stuff when it is on sale and stock up. I'm still saving for a seal-a-meal so I can make up some homemade MREs and other stuff and the next time I get some extra cash I'll be making a ton of jerky. (mainly cuz it never lasts that long) Meat seems to be the most difficult. Canned tuna, chicken breast, salmon, ham, roast beef, sardines and spam is all I can figure out. Be careful about buying the chicken in foil pouches. The brand I bought at walley world was so salty I had to throw it out. Kroger has the best or just go with canned.
Tim
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the tips. I know what you mean about it taking forever to build up stock by buying a couple extra items at a time. We have a 4 and 2 year old and our budget is pretty tight as well.
Pineywoods Patriot
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Pineywoods Patriot »

We removed the bed frame in our spare room and built a simple box out of plywood. It has four sides, no top or bottom. Found an old head board that my wife picked out. Attached it to the head end of the box. The box is the exact same height as the square five gallon buckets we picked up from a local restaurant. Place all the buckets side by side inside the box. Fill with contents. Cover with bed skirt and put the top mattress in place. I assure there is a lot of space under there and its out of sight, out of mind. We're planning to have a nicer version built to replace the bed in our room as well. If needed you can just do the same thing without the box or head board. Just arrange your buckets to the same dimensions as your mattress and be sure to cover with a bed skirt.
scruffy59
Fair Weather Camper

Post by scruffy59 »

site has free woodworking plans. If you can find a shelf about 4' wide and a little shorter than doorways in home. Build them 2-3' deep. Enclose with back, and doors on front. https://myoutdoorplans.com/free-outdoor-plans/ Been planning on building one myself with hidden wheels on bottom. They don't have that exact project. But The plans can give you a starting plan. Store in garage or a spare room. with wheels it should be easy to move around. Wheels - maybe correct term is casters?
scruffy59
Fair Weather Camper

Post by scruffy59 »

Site also has plans for making a storage bed frame like what was discussed in thread.