New Knives for Texas

KBars, Moras, Opinels, etc
Estacado
Fair Weather Camper

New Knives for Texas

Post by Estacado »

Been doing this for five months now as a knife maker vs knife finisher. Using 1095 Carbon Steel with wood handles and Loveless Bolts. Have made Kepharts from 3.5 to 5.0 inches, Bushlore style from 3.75 to 4.25 inches, and the Nessmuk Skinner in 4.25 inches. Tested at a Ranch outside Hondo this last season with blades holding up well. The very first knife dressed and skinned 6 Hogs and 6 Deer before I got it back for resharpening. Have made some 40 knives now from barstock and stock removal methods. I heat treat and temper the blades myself. This all after three years of buying blades and finishing them. Did some 80 knives that way. Make my own sheaths and am using a forced Patina onthe blades. All come with a Star Mosaic Pin, folks down here seem to like that. I am a Hobby only maker at this point. The knife sheath comes with a Ferro Rod and have used mostly Walnut and Maple handle scales. I'm 76 and have something to keep me busy. Tried to make a knife that is useful here in South Texas on game and in the Kitchen. Done Saber and Convex Grind so far. Just got a couple of Casstrom Folders with Scandi Grinds to see if that grind will work in my neck of the woods. EDC carry everyday lets you see a bit more of utility vs just thinking about hunting season. I gave my Bud and Tester, Sam, one each Nessmuk Skinner and Kephart to test. He is up in Austin this weekend using them to Grill a lot of beef and cut chickens for a big feed. He claims they are the best knives he's used in the last forty years. Iv'e been blessed to have the knives work out as well as they have. Hunting Bud's and Kin will let you know if they don't work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: New Knives for Texas

Post by BigJesse »

Can't go wrong with a Kephart style. Good looking knives.
2021 - 12 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook
YoungBlacksmith
Day Hiker

Post by YoungBlacksmith »

You got the handle swell at the guard area right on the Kephart's, good job!
Aaron

"G.W. Sears would not have tolerated MRE's, that is not what Woodcraft and Camping is all about." - Jeffro
White Falcon
Fair Weather Camper

Post by White Falcon »

Very nice work.