A new addition: Cold Steel Maximum Kukri

Khukuri, Bolo, Parang, etc
SilverBinder
Fair Weather Camper

A new addition: Cold Steel Maximum Kukri

Post by SilverBinder »

Well my new Cold Steel Kukri came in today. I'm getting worried about Cold Steel. The blade is made in South Africa. It came as dull as a two by four! I also found the steel to be only as thick as the regular sized kukri's made by Cold Steel. Not the quality I've come to expect in Cold Steel products. Well I guess I'll have to spend several hours with stones and file to put and edge on this pry bar. If the steel won't take and edge, I guess I have another wall ornament. :x
"This is Liberty Hall - you can spit on the mat and call the "cat" a bastard!"
Andre Crawford
Wet Tinder

Re: A new addition: Cold Steel Maximum Kukri

Post by Andre Crawford »

I have been hearing this kind of thing about them more and more. I think they may have compromised quality for quantity unless of course your buying one there 400 dollar blades which probably make up the smallest portion of their sales base.
Your not prepared if you can't remember what your carrying and where it is.
00 Turok
Fair Weather Camper

Post by 00 Turok »

Cold Steel quality is not what it use to be 10 years ago.
I have one of their older Gurkha Kukri when it was made with Carbon-V steel. I've had it about 20 years now.
It has been my everything knife up until 3 years ago, when I upgraded to a Himalayan Imports khukuri.

And I mean it was a substantial upgrade. As much as I like my old Cold Steel version, I always wished it was a little heavier, so I gave a handmade Nepalese khukuri a try & bought the M43 model from HI.

I never looked back. The 5160 spring steel of the M43 us unstoppable.
I still have my CS Gurkha Kukri, but it has been obsolete for 3 years now.

I use my HI M43 almost exclusively. Pretty much the only time I don't is when I'm using a saw or an axe.
OMark
Fair Weather Camper

Post by OMark »

That holds true with a lot of blades these days, it's a shame that so few manufactures care to keep up quality when they decide to have them made overseas.