Barefoot? BUT WHY!?

Wool? Cotton? Crazy polymer hybrid?
BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: Barefoot? BUT WHY!?

Post by BigJesse »

Now you guys have me interested. I had never even thought about making a pair of moccasins. I've got a good deal of leather but probably no where enough to do my behemoth of a foot.
2021 - 12 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook
DBX
Camp Curmudgeon Master Edge Technician

Post by DBX »

BigJesse wrote:Now you guys have me interested. I had never even thought about making a pair of moccasins. I've got a good deal of leather but probably no where enough to do my behemoth of a foot.
Aww, come on, Jesse. A double shoulder for each foot should be enough. Huh?

Plan... Do... Check... Adjust
Tracker Pack #27
"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." -Troll wisdom

Climate change started with the Big Bang.
Shnick
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Shnick »

I go barefoot in the backyard, occasionally I step on a sand burr grass seed, the really sharp ones. That sucks. But do I go put shoes on? No... Too much hassle.
So, this is where my sig line goes, right?
Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman »

I'm kinda like Shnick. I run around barefoot most of the time at home and around the yard. I have a lot of pavers and landscaping so I'm on rough concrete and stones, constantly stepping on small rocks, twigs, etc. After about a week, I start building up really thick callouses to the point they will crack open after a while and become very painful. I have to go soak my feet, then take the little hand held cheese grater thingy to get rid of the thick calloused parts, then sand it all down with the pumice stone to find my feet again. The thing that works best (after the whittling, scraping and sanding) for the cracks is Bag Balm . Basically medicated petrolatum. Only takes a day or two for the cracks to heal.

TMI? Well, going barefoot can be a real pain directly and indirectly over time. Being too lazy to put shoes on at times costs me dearly if I don't watch how I take care of my feet. Don't know why I don't wear shoes all the time, I can move faster and more safely than without them and that concrete gets really hot in the afternoon! I guess I'm just becoming a bum in my old age. :lol:
BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse »

I still don't have very many callouses. Not sure why. I'm barefoot enough....
2021 - 12 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook
Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman »

BigJesse wrote:I still don't have very many callouses. Not sure why. I'm barefoot enough....
Just wait about thirty years and you'll understand. :lol:
Texas Hangman
Wet Tinder

Post by Texas Hangman »

I know this is late, but bare with me. I am coming back after a year long hiatus after all!

I'm with you Jesse. I wear New Balance hiking shoes (Can't stand boots), but I have no issue going bare foot. When I go backpacking I don't take water shoes or camp shoes. I just go barefoot around camp. If I cross a stream I'll keep hiking until my feet are dry before I put my shoes back on. Much easier to wipe off the sand and dirt when your feet are dry than it is when they're wet.
kaywoodie
Camp Curmudgeon Bard

Post by kaywoodie »

Back in the day.

But I seldom go barefoot anywhere anymore. Just got too stove up. Did several 18th century scouts and one hog hunt barefooted then. Above pic at Ft. Toulouse/Jackson NHS in Alabama.
"I have some friends some honest friends, and honest friends are few; my pipe of briar, my open fire, a book that's not too new. "

Robert W. Service
Wildcat
Wet Tinder

Post by Wildcat »

three months ago decided to start going barefoot. Since then my feet have gotten stronger and more healthy. i have flat feet so i researched exercises to strengthen my arches. i can no longer wear my old boots. I bought barefoot shoes because my toes have spread out causing blisters in old shoes. i wear lems boulder boots to work/public places and barefoot as much as possible. will soon add a pair of lems primal to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk