Vinegar Water purification??

Penny stove, hobo stove, canteen cup. What do you use to disinfect water and cook food? Discuss.
GreyOne
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0

Vinegar Water purification??

Post by GreyOne » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Over the last year or so I have gotten to drinking at least one mug of water with a slug of Apple Cider Vinegar in it every day.
Not bad, an acquired taste.
Now, in reading some historical accounts, I found the Roman legionaries used vinegar to cut their water when marching. I suspect they did it as a means of thirst quenching, but I am wondering if it does not have at least some anti microbial effect. Has anyone ever heard or read anything on the use of vinegar either historically or in recent times for the purpose of water purification?
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without !- Grandad's advice

saustin1967
One with the Wilderness

Re: Vinegar Water purification??

Post by saustin1967 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:12 pm

Just quick google search turned up several articles on the subject. Most agree that vinegar and/or lemon juice with kill some of the less hardy nasties in water. But the cyst based bad guys are usually not affected. Also the amount of vinegar required to do the disinfecting would probably render the water undrinkable.
2020 - 6 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

saustin1967
One with the Wilderness

Post by saustin1967 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Here is a link to the Apple Cider benefits page
http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits ... ctant.html
2020 - 6 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

GreyOne
Fair Weather Camper

Post by GreyOne » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Pretty much what I have been finding. I know the use of watered wine (and Roman use f vinegar in wine) is considered by some historians to have had beneficial results on water borne diseases.
And yeah, the wash of vegetables and fruits is recommended with full strength vinegar, and that is definitely not drinkable.

I know how rapidly disease could spread through the camps in the Greek, Roman and Medieval eras, but they had to have at least some rule of thumb measures for water safety and hygiene- at least among the richer classes.

Wildcat
Wet Tinder
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wildcat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:00 am

I tried adding a very small amount of apple cider vinegar to my water and I just couldn't make myself drink it. I've read that it is beneficial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreyOne
Fair Weather Camper

Post by GreyOne » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Wildcat wrote:I tried adding a very small amount of apple cider vinegar to my water and I just couldn't make myself drink it. I've read that it is beneficial

I have been adding about a tablespoon to a 16 -20 ounce mug of ice water. It was a bit puckering at first, definitely an acquired taste, but now I like it better than plain water.

mikewood
Fair Weather Camper
Been thanked: 0

Post by mikewood » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:52 am

I have heard that water and vinegar was a thirst quencher and it does seem to work to some degree when your body can't get the needed hydration but it's always best to hydrate.

Interesting that in the bible when Jesus was on the cross the Roman centurions gave him water and vinegar. We were always taught it was out of cruelty but I wonder...

Scratch4x4
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Scratch4x4 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:13 am

If yall are trying to get a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in your daily diets, try a half of a shot glass. Its pretty rough the first few times, but its much easier to choke down a quick swallow than a glass of biter water.

A friend got me started on the daily vinegar shots a few weeks ago and weve looked up all sorts of health benefits. But I havent come across anything about being a water purifier. If I catch anything about it, ill bring it here.

One thing off the top off my head tho. Vinegar shares a pH value with stomach acid, so ive been told. So the acidity that may kill some microbes by adding vinegar to your water, wont do anything your own gut wont do. Thats not taking any property of vinegar into account except the acidity. Is there something else going on in vinegar that would be damaging to the nasties in water?

GreyOne
Fair Weather Camper

Post by GreyOne » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:23 pm

mikewood wrote:I have heard that water and vinegar was a thirst quencher and it does seem to work to some degree when your body can't get the needed hydration but it's always best to hydrate.

Interesting that in the bible when Jesus was on the cross the Roman centurions gave him water and vinegar. We were always taught it was out of cruelty but I wonder...

I doubt it was cruelty. The vinegar and water was a known roman legion method for relieving thirst. If the legionnaires drank it, then they surely did not consider it a cruel thing.