Dutch Oven Recipies

Penny stove, hobo stove, canteen cup. What do you use to disinfect water and cook food? Discuss.
kaywoodie
Camp Curmudgeon Bard
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dutch Oven Recipies

Post by kaywoodie » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:43 am

"This didn't go over real well with everyone because not all the boys like cabbage"

Ha! Cabbage! The food of Gods!!!
"I have some friends some honest friends, and honest friends are few; my pipe of briar, my open fire, a book that's not too new. "

Robert W. Service

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Post by jeffro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:01 pm

kaywoodie wrote:"This didn't go over real well with everyone because not all the boys like cabbage"

Ha! Cabbage! The food of Gods!!!
Yup, guaranteed to make your sticker peck out
Conjugus non unum

kaywoodie
Camp Curmudgeon Bard

Post by kaywoodie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:54 am

Jeffro,

I kinda like the idea of a big pan of fresh sauer kraut and elk or nilgai brats for us one evening in camp! Also have another recipe for sautéed chopped cabbage in bacon grease with onions and chopped bacon! Simple and delicious. Even better with fresh pan sausage crumbled and cooked with it. Like cabbage rolls without the roll!!!
"I have some friends some honest friends, and honest friends are few; my pipe of briar, my open fire, a book that's not too new. "

Robert W. Service

kaywoodie
Camp Curmudgeon Bard

Post by kaywoodie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:01 am

Another quick an easy campfire canned corn beef hash meal is dump a big can or two of the hash in your big cast iron frying pan. Level it out. Take bottom of your spoon and crest little craters in it. Set it on lower heat on your campfire. Add eggs to those little craters. They kinda poach in the hash. You'll know when it's done! Garnish top with chopped onions if you wish.

Robert W. Service

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Post by jeffro » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:16 am

That sounds like a plan, we went to Walburg on Friday night had Sauerbraten, Schweinbraten, Kartopfelsalat, Spatezel with Jagersauce and a firkin full of Rotkraut all on the buffet. Made Ole Sideboards look like a minor leaguer. I bet my Cardiologist and that little anemic hummingbird of a Nutritionist are in convulsive shock, their cholesterol must have gone up 50 points just from standing too close to me. If they had known about the 4 steins of hefeweitzen we'd be burying the poor bastids now.
Conjugus non unum

kaywoodie
Camp Curmudgeon Bard

Post by kaywoodie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:26 am

Hefeweitzen removes colestrol!!!! So does a good dunkel!!!

Frische Auf, junge!!!!

Robert W. Service