Trail Food

Penny stove, hobo stove, canteen cup. What do you use to disinfect water and cook food? Discuss.
Pointman
Bush Wacker
Has thanked: 0

Trail Food

Post by Pointman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Besides whatever trail nibbles I can find along the way, I try to carry lightweight, non-perishable items that can be prepared without cooking or with simply boiling water and mixing. Most of my stuff like rice is either instant or like quick oats and it's all done in a small storage bag inside of an envelope made from bubble wrap and that foil AC tape. (too cheap to buy that insulating foil wrap stuff that comes in rolls) Keeps food piping hot until I'm ready to eat it or until other stuff is done then I transfer it to my SS Glacier cup bag and all or just eat it straight out of the baggie in the warming envelope. The last time I cooked dinner in camp was instant loaded mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy but I had to cook the gravy in the cup separately to get it to thicken properly, then pour it into the baggie with the potatoes. I fried a Spam single over the fire with a forked stick and a couple of keeper cross twigs then put it back into the wrapper and ate it like a push-up pop with my potatoes and gravy. Man what a meal! You can get really creative if you have a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer. Chili, stew, ain't no stretch when you don't have to pack the extra weight of the water content. Just rehydrate and chow down. I try to keep it lightweight for backpacking over distances. Even with light stuff like Jerky, gorp, hot cocoa, rice, tuna, instant potatoes and such, a weeks worth of vittles still weighs 6 to 8 lbs.

BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: Trail Food

Post by BigJesse » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:31 pm

If you add a little more water and just toss the gravy into your taters its just as good. In my opinion anyway. I always keep a sandwich baggie with bannock mix in my pack. Just mix a little water and toss in on a rock facing the fire and you got some bread. Its very filling too.
2020 - 6 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook

SilverBinder
Fair Weather Camper
Been thanked: 0

bread and grits on the trail

Post by SilverBinder » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 am

I try and get creative because most prepackaged foods and not good for a diabetic. For instance, one of my quick breakfasts consists of instant grits mixed with spices, and chopped home made jerky. Place a dessicator bag and dumm into a zip lock bag. I want a vaccum sealer and a larger dehydrator. (Maybe that new pistol will have to wait!) In the field, I boil the water, add the contents then add some cheese and a couple of eggs. ;) I also take a page from BigMonkes and put my rice or dried beans into a small nalgene jar with water. They are ready to cook and fast and no need for the "quick" products. I'm getting too old to carry a slab of bacon or a dozen or two eggs and a loaf of bread. I don't make bannock - instead I make premixed packages of yeast bread mix. Then I add water, knead in the ziplock, and let rise. At supper, remove dough sprinkle with flour and place in a small bread pan. Cover the pan with foil and allow it to rise again. Bake in hole next to the fire. Layer of coals some dirt them the bread sealed in it's pan followed by another layer of dirt then more coals. 30 minutes plus cooking time. Great in a dutch oven w/0 the hole and dirt! Easier to watch too.
"This is Liberty Hall - you can spit on the mat and call the "cat" a bastard!"

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Mmmmmmmm. Fresh yeast bread. Gotta try that. I usually carry more rice cuz I'm gone for days at a time and not just overnight and instant is lighter. Besides I'm getting too old to pack the extra water weight. Backpacking in the Texas heat kinda rules out bacon and eggs. Been wanting to order some powdered eggs and repackage them into single serving pouches. The Mountainhouse bacon & eggs is decent but there's just too much packaging so it's oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon and Walnuts for breakfast here.

longbowman
Fair Weather Camper

Post by longbowman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:50 pm

I like my fried cornbread and smoked hog jowl bacon

SilverBinder
Fair Weather Camper

Post by SilverBinder » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Now I am hungry and guess what's in the kitchen! I'm making jerky this weekend so someone send me a hook up on that fan/ac filter setup. i bought the hog jowl in order to dry smoke them. I don't like the messy soft cure that you get in the store.
"This is Liberty Hall - you can spit on the mat and call the "cat" a bastard!"

Andre Crawford
Wet Tinder

Post by Andre Crawford » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:16 pm

I was a spam and whatever was in a can guy for the longest time, and got tired of it.

Here lately I have been trying out a new brand I found at Wally world.

Dehydrated soup mixes that have beans, noodles and such like minestrone mixed with summer sausage is really good.
Another one is the chicken noodle with a can of chicken breast chunks.

Now if I am out with the family and have the cast iron its on.

Cowboy chili
Sausage gravy and biscuits
Peach cobbler
Your not prepared if you can't remember what your carrying and where it is.

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:10 am

Andre Crawford wrote:I was a spam and whatever was in a can guy for the longest time, and got tired of it.

Here lately I have been trying out a new brand I found at Wally world.

Dehydrated soup mixes that have beans, noodles and such like minestrone mixed with summer sausage is really good.
Another one is the chicken noodle with a can of chicken breast chunks.

Now if I am out with the family and have the cast iron its on.

Cowboy chili
Sausage gravy and biscuits
Peach cobbler

I like those mixes too. I went to a Kroger and found some chicken breast in a pouch and grabbed three or four of them so I didn't have the extra weight of the can. A few days ago I was looking for something to eat for dinner and didn't feel like cooking. I made a quick salad and grabbed the chicken to put on top. As I began to munch I noticed that the chicken was extremely salty. I know to rinse that stuff next time and when the other packages are gone I ain't getting any more of that crap. I'll just suck it up and carry the cans or more likely dehydrate my own.

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:13 am

You mentioned chili. Did you know you can dehydrate chili in the tray you use to make fruit leather? A flat tray in the oven works too but that takes too long and too much electricity. Dehydrator is the ticket.

redrob
Fair Weather Camper

Post by redrob » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:40 pm

SilverBinder wrote:Now I am hungry and guess what's in the kitchen! I'm making jerky this weekend so someone send me a hook up on that fan/ac filter setup.
[youtube][/youtube]