Trail Food

Penny stove, hobo stove, canteen cup. What do you use to disinfect water and cook food? Discuss.
twain55
Wet Tinder

Re: Trail Food

Post by twain55 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:56 am

Pointman wrote:
twain55 wrote:I will kill a poisonous snake if I found it around my home. Others I let them be.
I would have to agree with that especially if there are kids running around. For me, not much chance of that here in the big city.
Yep. I have two youngins at home.

Red Wolff
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Red Wolff » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:48 pm

You can not go wrong with a dehydrater! From whole meals to jerky, it is a great way to go if you have a good water source on your trail. I like cooking caught foods along with rice or re-hydrated side dishes. Also, I like corn cakes on stone, but recently seen bannocks done on a stick. Have any of you tried that? I am not sure how gluten free bannocks would taste, so I will be expiramenting in the kitchen today.

Indian fry bread is popular out west on the trail. I have found a way to make Inuit fry bread gluten free and trail ready, too. :idea:

Pointman
Bush Wacker
Has thanked: 0

Post by Pointman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:23 am

Red Wolff wrote: I have found a way to make Inuit fry bread gluten free and trail ready, too. :idea:
Care to share?

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:30 pm

Red Wolff wrote:...but recently seen bannocks done on a stick. Have any of you tried that?
I've made Bannock in just about every way possible. On a stick method is my least favorite but its the easiest. Taste changes with the wood you use. Pecan is best IMO. My favorite method is on a flat rock leaning toward the fire. Fried is really good too but is a hassle.
2020 - 6 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook