Trail Food

Penny stove, hobo stove, canteen cup. What do you use to disinfect water and cook food? Discuss.
Pointman
Bush Wacker
Has thanked: 0

Re: Trail Food

Post by Pointman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:58 am

:lol: That guy is totally nuts! I could watch him all day. He really has a lot of good cooking tips and recipes too. Great video and thanks for sharing. It gave me an idea of perhaps substituting sun dried tomatoes and powdered milk and garlic powder to take backpacking to serve over rice. MMMMMMM! Can't wait to give this a whirl. Might just go out in the backyard to my fire pit and try it out.

SilverBinder
Fair Weather Camper
Been thanked: 0

Snake removed

Post by SilverBinder » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:39 am

Removed as it offended some people.
Last edited by SilverBinder on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This is Liberty Hall - you can spit on the mat and call the "cat" a bastard!"

twain55
Wet Tinder

Post by twain55 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:42 am

Pointman wrote:You mentioned chili. Did you know you can dehydrate chili in the tray you use to make fruit leather? A flat tray in the oven works too but that takes too long and too much electricity. Dehydrator is the ticket.
I'm very interested in this. I will have to study this and try it out. Thanks for the idea.

SilverBinder
Fair Weather Camper

Post by SilverBinder » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17 am

Well my new dehydrator arrived yesterday and I've already made parched corn and peas for trail snacks and just loaded in some sausage slices to for trail nibbles. Hope that works as good as the veg.

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:01 am

You're probably gonna wear it out over the next couple of weeks. :D
You mentioned sausage slices. To save some time you may want to try these. If you look in the snack section at Kroger you might find some turkey and beef sausages made by Old Wisconsin. Head and shoulders above most sausages especially those greasy Slim-Jims. There is enough in each package to make 3 or maybe even 4 meals if combined with other things. I like it way better than jerky and of course they go great with a hunk of cheddar cheese and a brewsky. Hardwood smoked, resealable package.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twain55
Wet Tinder

Post by twain55 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 am

redrob wrote:
SilverBinder wrote:Now I am hungry and guess what's in the kitchen! I'm making jerky this weekend so someone send me a hook up on that fan/ac filter setup.
[youtube][/youtube]
I like this idea. But I would need to device a setup of racks that I could reuse.

SilverBinder
Fair Weather Camper

Post by SilverBinder » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Dried rice and beans seem to take for ever to cook. Until this past year, I would put them in a pot and add water and let the sit and soak until supper. Well this doesn't work too well if your hiking. I was watching one of ReallyBigMonkey's videos where he place the rice or beans in a jar with water and put it in his pack. Next time out I tried it. I now have a heavy glass jar that goes with my dried rice and beans. I put my dried veg inside and fill with water. I suggest putting it in a ziplock bag wrapped with paper towels. Yes, having your haversack filled with a pint of water and rice is not a pleasant discovery!

Another food tip for the field. Sugar - hard to carry in the field bags get holed and everything gets sticky.
Take a page from my old historical treking days and use a block or pillow of hard Mexican sugar. It come in little cones or flat disks and you shave or break off what you need. It's also unprocessed sugar and is "better" for you. I also carry the chocolate from the Mexican food isle. Can't remember the name but it has the Old grandma on the package. This can be made with water or by adding powdered milk for a good hot drink with little or no diuretics in it. In the early days of chocolate it was made with water not milk.

Keeping your brew warm or your pots warm as well go to the dollar store and buy a silver dashboard protector. Cut to fit your pot, use silver metallic duct tape to put it together. Don''t forget the top!

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Re: Snake

Post by Pointman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:05 am

SilverBinder wrote:I was out the other day when I saw a big Texas Rat Snake.
They call them ratsnakes for a reason....they eat rats. Copperheads and rattlesnakes also eat all sorts of small rodents. Rodents are like a super highway for ticks. Rattlesnake is definitely good eating but leaving them alone in wooded areas, to let nature take it's course, helps control the tick population and Lyme disease. Saw this on a National Geographic show about the Apalachain Trail a while back. Never occurred to me I was interrupting a natural cycle. Now I try not to kill any kind of snakes at all.

twain55
Wet Tinder

Post by twain55 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 am

I will kill a poisonous snake if I found it around my home. Others I let them be.

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:18 pm

twain55 wrote:I will kill a poisonous snake if I found it around my home. Others I let them be.
I would have to agree with that especially if there are kids running around. For me, not much chance of that here in the big city.