Looking at the Molle II rifleman

Molly? Alice? Fanny?
Scratch4x4
Fair Weather Camper

Looking at the Molle II rifleman

Post by Scratch4x4 »

I picked up an Eberlestock halftrack in multicam a couple years back, and its been my main pack since. Its a wonderful pack, very comfortable even loaded down. And its built like a tank. Which are my main priorities in a pack.

However, it doesnt fit my hammock quilts. Can squeeze the top quilt in with my tarp, hammock, and compressed pillow, but never my bottom quilt. And damn sure not my MSS for when its really cold out. So im thinking very hard about trading down. To the Molle II standard pack with MSS carrier.

I had one in woodland, and turned it loose like a dumba** before i had discovered the limits to my Estock. And i never did use it. I also still have an ACU large ruck sack as my BOB, but im thinking of getting rid of it as well. Its way overkill on size for me, and im not a fan of the camo pattern.

I do like the size of the main comartment, itll make it easy to fit my odd shaped hammock gear in. And i know these frames and straps are comfortable. Im assuming theres no organizational pockets or pouches anywhere on it, like the large rucksack.

What do yall think? Does anyone use this pack at all? Does it hold up as well over time? Any info or thoughts on it are welcome.
saustin1967
One with the Wilderness

Re: Looking at the Molle II rifleman

Post by saustin1967 »

I think that is a heck of a load out. MSS, top and bottom quilt, Hammock and tarp. Must get real cold where you are.
No but really, I myself have gone more to the gram weenie side of gear. A Medium ALICE used to be my go to, with frame, MSS, the whole works. Not getting any younger, my old ass cannot carry that load out for long.

Currently my full, Winter setup, weighs in at 32 lbs, with food and water for a weekend. My Summer load out will be, sub 20 lbs, with food and water.
Winter is, a Kelty Redwind 48, Eno Double nest, Eno Under quilt, Thermanrest (milspec) full length self inflat pad, Recon 4 bag, food and water, misc cooking and eating utensils.
Summer is a Mountain Smith Butt pack with straps, eno double, Outdoor product down bag, Therma Cell, food water, misc cooking eating utensils.
These are if we actually have to hike in to a camp site. Other wise my load out is my truck, anything goes.

Pack your own pack, hike your own hike, hang your own hang.

JMHO
2021 - 5 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Scratch4x4
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Scratch4x4 »

saustin1967 wrote:I think that is a heck of a load out. MSS, top and bottom quilt, Hammock and tarp. Must get real cold where you are.
No but really, I myself have gone more to the gram weenie side of gear. A Medium ALICE used to be my go to, with frame, MSS, the whole works. Not getting any younger, my old ass cannot carry that load out for long.

Currently my full, Winter setup, weighs in at 32 lbs, with food and water for a weekend. My Summer load out will be, sub 20 lbs, with food and water.
Winter is, a Kelty Redwind 48, Eno Double nest, Eno Under quilt, Thermanrest (milspec) full length self inflat pad, Recon 4 bag, food and water, misc cooking and eating utensils.
Summer is a Mountain Smith Butt pack with straps, eno double, Outdoor product down bag, Therma Cell, food water, misc cooking eating utensils.
These are if we actually have to hike in to a camp site. Other wise my load out is my truck, anything goes.

Pack your own pack, hike your own hike, hang your own hang.

JMHO
Sounds like you carry more than I do. But my stuff isnt ultralite, nor is it the most compressible. But its the best I can afford. I dont take the bag and the top quilt, its one or the other depending on temps. My topquilt is uncomfortable below freezing, and It gets into the single digits a few times a year here.

I took a hard look at the alice packs, but i just dont know enough about em to decide which one is right. Theres too many brands making them, in too many variations. And believe it or not, Ive never seen one in person. Noone I know has one to check out. The new Molle II rucks i know about the size, and how comfortable they are, and where theyre made. I just dont know much else. Was hoping someone who has carried one could tell me more about them.
Turtlewolf
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Turtlewolf »

The large molle 2 ruck is probably the same as the ruck that is your BOB right now, only the version you have there in the pic is older.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk