Pack weight

Molly? Alice? Fanny?
Tpvegas
Fair Weather Camper

Pack weight

Post by Tpvegas »

I was wondering what you guys prefer to keep your path wait to I'm thinking of trying to keep mine around 50 pounds dry that's no food no water but everything else
saustin1967
One with the Wilderness

Re: Pack weight

Post by saustin1967 »

Sounds a little heavy to me. I have three setup that I keep packed. My summer kit weights around 26 pounds with food and water. My winter kit is around 35 pounds with food and water, Ana's my hot summer hiking rig is 16 pounds with water and food.
It has taken me a few years to get this point.
Most people carry way more stuff than they need, try to eliminate what you do not use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
2021 - 5 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Tpvegas
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tpvegas »

What do you have in your kits
saustin1967
One with the Wilderness

Post by saustin1967 »

Just what I need to spend a weekend in the woods.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Tpvegas
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tpvegas »

I'm new at this so I'm just trying to get get a kit going
saustin1967
One with the Wilderness

Post by saustin1967 »

Tpvegas wrote:I'm new at this so I'm just trying to get get a kit going
Sounds like you are wanting to tell you what to pack.

Pack up some gear, go to a state park where they have facilities and it is not hard to get back home. Try out your gear and decide if it works for what you want to do. Only you can decid what works and what does not.

I spent the weekend with twenty, other bushcrafters in the woods camping and hiking. No two of us had the same kit.

The basics, will be a pack, some sort of shelter, a sleep system of some kind. Some thing to carry water, some sort of food, something to cook the food with. So way to make fire.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Tpvegas
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tpvegas »

Ok thanks
jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Post by jeffro »

My backpack is American made in Toledo, Ohio by AMC. It carries all my equipment, food, water and never gets blisters. I am a comfort weenie, I like eating and sleeping well, a natural born REMF.
Conjugus non unum
Woodsman Wannabe
Wet Tinder

Post by Woodsman Wannabe »

Depends on what you want your gear to do. What season will you be on the trail? Cold weather requires different gear than summer (especially in the sauna known as Southeast Texas).
Is there a possibility of having to work with a burn ban? (no fire means you need a stove)
How far do you plan to walk/hike? (I'm a 50ft hiker myself)

Too much weight gives you sore muscles and "rug burns" wherever the pack rubs your body.

As was already stated it's all about water, food and shelter. You decide what that means to you, then put it on your back and walk around the block a couple times. If it works, great. If not, fix it. Part of that walk around the block should be an overnight either in an appropriate park or your yard. If it doesn't work, fix it.

Years ago I could pack a box of cereal & some ramein noodles along with a pot, sleeping bag, and a tarp. Grab my fishing rod and a couple of friends then be gone for the weekend. I would be miserable if i tried it today. (That is the other secret, your gear may change over time)

Gear is personal, everyone's is different. You'll want to keep it to a minimum, unless you are one of them folks that enjoys pain.
BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse »

I've got two pack set ups. A traditional one and a more "lightweight" one. Despite it being called "lightweight" it's actually the same weight as my traditional. Both hover around 40-45 pounds with water and food. I manage to keep it that way by changing what I carry. In my trad pack I carry much less water, rather than a gallon + 32oz I'll carry about 56oz and treat any water I find.
No matter which set up I carry the contents stay relatively the same.
I'm a glutton for punishment though and will opt for comfortability over weight in a lot of cases.
2021 - 12 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook