Water Purification

You want it reviewed? Ask. You have a review? Tell us about it.
dragogt
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Purification

Post by dragogt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:35 pm

At my local Walmart..

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twain55
Wet Tinder

Post by twain55 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:49 pm

I wrote a brief article for survivalblog.com in 2012 about various ways to make water safe (safer) to drink.

I don't have a lot of practical experience. I wrote the article based mostly on research.

If you're interested:
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/03/mak ... -john.html

(I'm sure I posted a link to this here before.)

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:09 am

After the recommendation regarding the Sawyer filter, I purchased one and gave it a try. Initially it is hard to use until the membranes inside are thoroughly saturated but the instructions cover this and provides steps for first use, general use and flushing. I love the versatility of this filter but it does not have a carbon component. After some further research on their site, the reason given for no carbon has to do with dwell time. In layman's term, the length of time the water is in contact with the carbon, determines the effectiveness. Just running your water thru a homemade filter or constructing a survival filter with grass, sand and charcoal may or may not reduce chemical toxins unless the flow rate is restricted to a slow drip.

This was an interesting factoid since my first filter was a homemade 1" PVC filter with sponge prefilter, cotton balls, a SS tea strainer wire mesh and activated carbon. I have use it extensively but in retrospect, I have actually probably only filtered particulates, bacteria and protozoa. The rate of flow is way too fast (according to the information on Sawyer's website) to actually be effective in removing chemical contaminants. Since most of its' use was on lake water, I have unknowingly injested chemical toxins from both pesticide runoff from lake residents as well as petroleum byproducts like motor oil and gas from all the boats. Granted the lake is a large body of water but between boating and jetskis over quite a few years, I'm sure it is not to be trusted and certainly not potable.

Food for thought....opinions?

DBX
Camp Curmudgeon Master Edge Technician

Post by DBX » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:24 am

Well... Ya ain't ded yet. :grin:

While not particularly good for you, the amounts you have ingested have been delt with by your body processes. The problem is with chronic use or large concentration of chemicals. These chemicals may accumulate, but they won't procreate like bacteria, virus, or protozoa.

The dose is the difference.

Plan... Do... Check... Adjust.
"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." -Troll wisdom

Climate change started with the Big Bang.

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:06 am

Ha,ha. Yeah, like the late Red Fox said, "If I ain't got cancer by now I probably have something that would eat it up". Just wanted to put a fine point on the dwell time issue and why some manufacturers don't include a carbon component. Living in the 'burbs' poses a whole other set of considerations with regards to water sources that are perhaps not as great a concern in the more remote areas we sometimes frequent as bushcrafters. This would of course be multiplied exponentially in a SHTF scenario, but for 99% of the time nowadays tho, the Sawyer filter fits the bill quite adequately IMO.

DBX
Camp Curmudgeon Master Edge Technician

Post by DBX » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 am

Yup, know what ya mean. I live on the Gulf Coast. Once upon a time this was all chemical plants and heavy agriculture, now it's all chemical plants, SUBURBS, and heavy agriculture. I will drink ground water (bayous, creeks, rivers, canals, ponds) filtered through my Saywer,but no more than I HAVE TO! I'm not sure that a dwell time, measured in days, would be enough to remove all the hydrocarbons and pesticides.
Before I picked up the Saywers, I used either boiling, chlorine tabs, or plain bleach, sometimes a combination of boiling and one of the others.
I still feel a little funny if I don't boil the water from the filter, but that's just from an old habit being broken.

Plan... Do... Check... Adjust.
"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." -Troll wisdom

Climate change started with the Big Bang.

dragogt
Fair Weather Camper

Post by dragogt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:14 pm

Few pics of an Abused saywer..

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

dragogt
Fair Weather Camper

Post by dragogt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Few pics of an Abused saywer..

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Daniel
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Daniel » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:07 pm

I have been thinking about getting a life straw, but also wondering about one of the hand pump filters that you can attach a bottle to the bottom of and pump water right into, but i could get 5 life straws for that cost. hmmm

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Daniel wrote:I have been thinking about getting a life straw, but also wondering about one of the hand pump filters that you can attach a bottle to the bottom of and pump water right into, but i could get 5 life straws for that cost. hmmm

The Sawyer filters are the best out there in my opinion. Just ask saustin to fill you in on all the mods he has done to his.