Nature Preserve

Pointman
Bush Wacker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nature Preserve

Post by Pointman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:49 am

I was talking to a friend the other day and mentioned backpacking and hiking. He told me that a local park had a nature preserve there with a lot of nice hiking trails. I knew this park was there but had never really explored it. Turns out this park is about 10 times as big as I thought and it has been about 15 years since I even stopped to look. It has developed quite a bit since then and yesterday morning my wife and I decided to do some exploring to see for ourselves. We were so surprised at the beautiful trails with plaques along the way identifying the various trees and plants. We hiked for 2 1/2 hours and have no idea how far we went. I carried my belt with canteen, multitool, machette, small spade, ESK and sheath knife as well as a 15 lb day pack with enough food for 5 days, bank line, small tarp, cook kit, packsaw, two extra bottles of water, fire kit, fishing kit, extra socks and underwear for a minimalist 5 day outing. I wanted to see how much lighter it was than my regular pack that usually has everything but the kitchen sink. I was surprised how easy it was to carry. I hardly knew it was there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: Nature Preserve

Post by BigJesse » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:51 am

Looks like a good time. Did the plaques have pretty good info on them? Well, anything you didn't already know?

Pointman
Bush Wacker
Has thanked: 0

Post by Pointman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:41 pm

The only one I didn't recognize was a Hawthorn. The sandpapery, asymetrical leaves with the finely toothed margins looked exactly like a slippery elm but much larger. The plaques only had the names of the trees and nothing more. Great place to get in a couple of miles of hiking. Beautiful.

twain55
Wet Tinder

Post by twain55 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Nice.

real_steel
Wet Tinder

Post by real_steel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:09 pm

That looks really nice. My sister works at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens. I love to go there and just hike around. They have a living, hollowed out pecan tree there that I actually climbed inside of through a hole at the bottom. I could live in that tree if I had to. It was by far the biggest pecan tree Ive ever seen in Texas. That area just gets alot more rain than my part of Texas.

Thanks for sharing.
real_steel

NeckRed Gringo
Artist Formerly Known as SD Woodsman

Post by NeckRed Gringo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:40 pm

real_steel wrote:That looks really nice. My sister works at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens. I love to go there and just hike around. They have a living, hollowed out pecan tree there that I actually climbed inside of through a hole at the bottom. I could live in that tree if I had to. It was by far the biggest pecan tree Ive ever seen in Texas. That area just gets alot more rain than my part of Texas.

Thanks for sharing.
Man I live in the DFW area and never see that pecan there lol. Now I'm on a mission to go check it out. Funny how the things you live so close to but never know were there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

NeckRed Gringo
Artist Formerly Known as SD Woodsman

Post by NeckRed Gringo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Pointman wrote:I was talking to a friend the other day and mentioned backpacking and hiking. He told me that a local park had a nature preserve there with a lot of nice hiking trails. I knew this park was there but had never really explored it. Turns out this park is about 10 times as big as I thought and it has been about 15 years since I even stopped to look. It has developed quite a bit since then and yesterday morning my wife and I decided to do some exploring to see for ourselves. We were so surprised at the beautiful trails with plaques along the way identifying the various trees and plants. We hiked for 2 1/2 hours and have no idea how far we went. I carried my belt with canteen, multitool, machette, small spade, ESK and sheath knife as well as a 15 lb day pack with enough food for 5 days, bank line, small tarp, cook kit, packsaw, two extra bottles of water, fire kit, fishing kit, extra socks and underwear for a minimalist 5 day outing. I wanted to see how much lighter it was than my regular pack that usually has everything but the kitchen sink. I was surprised how easy it was to carry. I hardly knew it was there.
Awsome hike brotha! Getting all self conscious about the pack weight now haha. Everyone love the main pack you got, never know what your going to pull out of there next and always has something for every situation. Good work

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk