My draw #?

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Re: My draw #?

Post by jeffro » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:39 pm

Be very consistent in your draw, anchor and release. The more you shoot you will find the "sight picture" and you will be able to quit aiming and shoot by "feel". Learn to use the force, Jesse.
Conjugus non unum

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:17 pm

I really don't aim now. I just kinda know where to point my body and bow. Granted not very effectively most of the time but within a 8-10" margin at 10 yards.
I do feel like the release is my biggest problem. The string rolls off my fingers instead of just "falling" off.
With more practice I will become better.

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Post by jeffro » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:57 pm

If you think the bowstring is rolling off your fingers try using a tab. You should be able to knock one together real easy just remember to fold up some leather and sew it on the back to spread the forefinger and middle fingers. Also some of the best tabs still have the hair left on and it lays in the direction of the travel of the bowstring. One other thing hold the bowstring on the forepads of the fingers not in the creases of the finger joints.
Conjugus non unum

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:32 pm

jeffro wrote:If you think the bowstring is rolling off your fingers try using a tab. You should be able to knock one together real easy just remember to fold up some leather and sew it on the back to spread the forefinger and middle fingers. Also some of the best tabs still have the hair left on and it lays in the direction of the travel of the bowstring. One other thing hold the bowstring on the forepads of the fingers not in the creases of the finger joints.
I made a shooting glove (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=921&p=7913#p7907) that I was using. But the thread wasn't holding up. Kept slipping so I just used my fingers bare.
Now that you mention it I do hold the string close to the joint in my fingers. I'll move it up a bit tomorrow. Thanks for the advise Jeffro.

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Update:
Wanted to up my draw weight on my bow but found out that Samick went out of business. There are still tons of Sages out there but no Journeys (the 64" limbs) which is what I shoot. Luckily Southwest Archery makes replacement limbs. So that's what I got. The SWA Spyder XL 64" @ 50#. I've also found that my full draw length after a few years of off and on practice requires a 32" arrow, which leave about an inch off the rest. Pretty convenient too, don't have to get them cut.

I'm going to start bow hunting soon and I'm feeling confident on my aim so I got some broadheads which I'll be bringing with me in a couple weeks for a minimal gear 2 nighter where I'm hoping to get a hog on some private land.

Anyway, just an update.

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:14 am

Pictures. ImageImageImageImage