I'm Building an AR15 (done kinda)

BigJesse
Site Admin

I'm Building an AR15 (done kinda)

Post by BigJesse » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:12 am

Well guys. I'm building an AR 15. But before you "traditional gun" guys start yelling at me (I'm looking at you Jeffro :lol: ) Let me explain.
I've had a very uneasy feeling about our country lately. Since all of the rioting and "protests", people getting murdered or hurt because of the political tension I've felt unprepared.
If you know me you would also know that I'm not a gun enthusiast, just don't find them interesting. I've grown up with guns and know proper gun safety and how to shoot but just never had the urge to get one. I've only recently gotten into hunting and I've chosen to go the recurve bow route on that front.
But you may be wondering, "why an AR?"
I've ran other options through my head. SKS, AK, any pistol, etc and kept landing back at the AR platform. The AR is a very good multitasker... home defense, hunting, plinking, etc. The AR ammo, which will be .223/5.56 NATO in my case is very abundant. Let's say for a second that the shit hits the fan per say. Rioting, looting, havoc, the most abundant ammos will be 9mm, 12g, .45acp and 5.56, making my job of protecting my family and loved ones slightly easier. And eventually I'd like to try my hand at reloading. It's also a very well made, accurate rifle and the manufacturing in most cases are held to a high standard, Mil-Spec. It's incredibly simple for being a modern rifle. Less points of failure, it's no breakaway single barrel 12g but it's a good trade off for what it brings to the table.
By any means it's primary function will be home/family/personal defense, secondly- hunting, thirdly- fun.
I've done my research and have gotten very familiar with this platform and have taken a lot of things into consideration when building this AR. But I'd like to hear some things from you fellas. People with much more experience than I.
I haven't posted my build on purpose. I don't really want my build to be scrutinized, I just want first hand experience, things that you wish you would have known when building or buying yours. Even things like optics, handrails, VFG vs AFG, etc.
Thanks in advance.

I will have a very well versed individual helping me along the way. Up to and including the build.

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Re: I'm Building an AR15 (tips?)

Post by jeffro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:48 am

Well if you feel like you gotta then go ahead and do it. They are a lot of fun,low recoil, very ergonomic and getting cheaper by the minute. If you scope that rifle look into the Primary Arms scopes they have a fine holdover type reticle and they are nice and compact giving a lot for dollars spent. Be sure to get a lower that accepts standard AR magazines and get more than two magazines and only load them to 2/3rds capacity. Have you some ten or twenty mags and keep them loaded, there is no time in a gunfight to stop and load magazines. STEEL MAGAZINES ARE BEST and most are rebuild able with stainless springs and followers. Start looking for an LBE vest and mag pouches to make a dirty deed vest in case shit hits the fan. Practice with your rifle so that you know the controls intimately, this is your mistress and you need to know how to fondle her especially in the dark.
Conjugus non unum

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks Jeffro.

saustin1967
Novice Knife Maker

Post by saustin1967 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:38 am

everything Jeff said.
Except I like the PMAGs, I load mine 28 rounds in a 30 round mag.
I also have a few, 5, 10, and 20 round mags. For hunting you may have no more that a 5 rd capacity.
For a simple home defense weapon, keep it simple, do not need all the mall ninja accessories, like the lights and lasers and sighting do-hickies. Keep locked and loaded, and away from the kids. Do not make it a mystery, If they want to see it, let them, unload and let them hold it. If it is a secret or a mystery, then they are going to want to sneak around and try and see it and play with it when no one is around or looking. If it is no big deal, then it will be no big deal.

Read this cover to cover
Manual-Tm9-1005-249-23p.pdf
Practice, practice, practice, which I know is hard, not like a bow, you cannot shoot in your backyard. But practice taking you weapon apart and putting it back together, Army standard if I remember correctly is 10 seconds, to field strip and reassemble.
Buy some snap caps, and practice trigger control while you watch TV. Balance a dime on the barrel, and practice squeezing the trigger until you can do it without dropping the dime. Snap cap saves you firing pin.
Down load the M16/A4 25 meter Zero targets(google), Zero at 25M, large aperture sight, then flip to the small aperture you are good to 300M.

Ask questions, you know which of us have then, and have used them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2019 - 8 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:46 am

Thank you.

Woodsman Wannabe
Wet Tinder

Post by Woodsman Wannabe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 am

Since you are going to build it I will add this to the already great advice. Don't worry too much about buying the top of the line parts. I built mine a couple years ago purchasing parts off e(vil)bay. Many of my parts don't have a brand, let alone a big name brand. The rifle will still out shoot me.
Quality, yes, high dollar big name, not necessarily.

saustin1967
Novice Knife Maker

Post by saustin1967 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:22 pm

I agree, most of my small parts come from Academy.
LPK's, front grips, stocks, buffer tubes and springs, magazines, sights
2019 - 8 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Most of the parts I'm ordering will be from online stores. Actually, all but the stripped lower. The internet is a glorious thing.

Scratch4x4
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Scratch4x4 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Got alot of things ro say and not much time (at work at the moment) so i will edit this a few times as i get the oplortunity.

1. Rifle itself, dont skimp out on brands trying to save a few bucks. Buy a colt. I recommend a Colt OEM-1 or -2, and supply your choice of handguard, grip and stock. I recommend a colt for many reasons, not the least of which is they have it dialed in on tolerances, and your field manuals will deal with those specs, making it easier on you should you ever develope a problem. Ive had a Bushmaster, built 2 DPMS, a Colt, and a Diamondback. The DB is the only one ive had problems with.

2. Dont tinker too much with your inerds. Leave your gas system, buffer, springs, etc as they come. They all mesh together for reliability. Even the weight of your bolt carrier plays a part in the operation of the gas system. Do your homework on matching your parts if you build from scratch. If you buy a complete upper, call the manufacturer and get their recommendation on buffer weight and spring.

3. Get what you want the first time and be done with it. If you want stock-a, but think its too expensive, dont settle on stock-b. You'll regret it and eventually end up buyingthe one you want anyways, so its worth it to save up a little longer and get what you want.

4. Optics are tricky for recomendations. You may be perfectly happy with a $50 red dot or scope. You may lose sleep over not having an aimpoint. I can tell you only that ive had a Vortex strikefire, Aimpoint M2, and currently run a Trijicon MRO. Couldnt be happier withthe trijicon.
Only things about red dots to be aware of is if you have an astigmatism like me, the "dot" will be more of a star burst full time without glasses. And yes, you do get what you pay for. The clarity of an aimpoint or trijicon is far superior to the vortex.

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:35 am

Thanks for the help guys. The range of opinions I've gotten has been very wide. But it's shown me options I didn't have before. What I have learned is that I'm going with something simple and "generic" to start. Only because I don't know my shooting style yet and don't know exactly what I want. So I'm essentially buying the starter Lego kit and I'll figure the rest out along the way.

Thanks again.

PS: I just ordered everything. I'll see you at the ranges.