I'm Building an AR15 (done kinda)

twain55
Wet Tinder

Re: I'm Building an AR15 (tips?)

Post by twain55 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:24 pm

I just picked up this Texas themed upper and lower by Aero Precision at Modern Elite Firearms in SA.

I sold one of my rifles yesterday so that meant I had the funds for my next build.

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Twinsies

twain55
Wet Tinder

Post by twain55 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:35 pm

BigJesse wrote:Twinsies
Yep. I really like the way that lower looks. Had to get one for myself. :).

RMAR
Professional Baton Maker

Post by RMAR » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:11 am

saustin1967 wrote:everything Jeff said.
Except I like the PMAGs, I load mine 28 rounds in a 30 round mag.
I also have a few, 5, 10, and 20 round mags. For hunting you may have no more that a 5 rd capacity.
For a simple home defense weapon, keep it simple, do not need all the mall ninja accessories, like the lights and lasers and sighting do-hickies. Keep locked and loaded, and away from the kids. Do not make it a mystery, If they want to see it, let them, unload and let them hold it. If it is a secret or a mystery, then they are going to want to sneak around and try and see it and play with it when no one is around or looking.
Scott where do you hunt that only allows 5 round cap? Texas doesn't have capacity limits except for migratory game bird hunting where you shotgun can only hold 3 shells.

Also you are spot on with not making guns a mystery. I told my daughter that if she ever wanted to see any of my guns that all she had to do was ask. She did one time and never asked again and never touched any on my guns.

twain55
Wet Tinder

Post by twain55 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 pm

RMAR wrote:
Also you are spot on with not making guns a mystery. I told my daughter that if she ever wanted to see any of my guns that all she had to do was ask. She did one time and never asked again and never touched any on my guns.
I did a similar thing when my kids were younger. Made my firearms safe and then let my kids look at them and hold them and get all their curiosity out of the way. (Plus talking about firearm safety.)

saustin1967
Novice Knife Maker

Post by saustin1967 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:35 pm

RMAR wrote:
saustin1967 wrote:everything Jeff said.
Except I like the PMAGs, I load mine 28 rounds in a 30 round mag.
I also have a few, 5, 10, and 20 round mags. For hunting you may have no more that a 5 rd capacity.
For a simple home defense weapon, keep it simple, do not need all the mall ninja accessories, like the lights and lasers and sighting do-hickies. Keep locked and loaded, and away from the kids. Do not make it a mystery, If they want to see it, let them, unload and let them hold it. If it is a secret or a mystery, then they are going to want to sneak around and try and see it and play with it when no one is around or looking.
Scott where do you hunt that only allows 5 round cap? Texas doesn't have capacity limits except for migratory game bird hunting where you shotgun can only hold 3 shells.

Well hello Stranger. Long time now hear.
I don't hunt, have not hunted in years. Just one of those myths I was always told.
I do however have some 5 rd mags, they do better bench shooting.
2019 - 8 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

RMAR
Professional Baton Maker

Post by RMAR » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Yes sir I hear that. I don't have small mags but when bench shooting I only load 3-5 rounds at a time to save ammo.

twain55
Wet Tinder

Post by twain55 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm done working on my latest build. (For now.)

For my first try at a "battle worn" look I feel it's "okay". It's not exactly what I envisioned but it'll do. This was just a "for fun" build.

The battle worn look doesn't come through in the pics very well.

This was also my first attempt at backfilling the engraving on the lower receiver. It's a little crappy but I learned a lot. The non-acetone cleaner I used to help remove excess fill paint took some of the blue paint off so it looks a little hazy around the backfill areas.

I might work on it more later but for now I'm satisfied. This rifle still has never been fired yet so I need to get it out to the range and put some rounds through it.

Below are some pics of the finished product.

The colors are navy blue and orange to represent my alma mater, the UTSA Roadrunners.

These users thanked the author twain55 for the post:
Woodsman Wannabe (Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:01 pm)
Rating: 11.11%

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Cool build. Little too flashy for my taste but I like that you did it yourself. Making it your own. And the color scheme is very cool.

I'm curious about the flip up sights. Which are they?

twain55
Wet Tinder

I'm Building an AR15 (tips?)

Post by twain55 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:02 am

BigJesse wrote:Cool build. Little too flashy for my taste but I like that you did it yourself. Making it your own. And the color scheme is very cool.

I'm curious about the flip up sights. Which are they?
They're these inexpensive flip ups in the Amazon link below. This is not my primary "battle rifle" so I mostly have affordable items on it.

I like these sights because they're light weight and have easy access levers to quickly flip the sights up.

I'm not sure what kind of abuse they can take. I wouldn't expect much.

I was able to find these with free shipping. Just have to look around a little.