Camping in North Texas

cooljt2
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Camping in North Texas

Post by cooljt2 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:57 pm

I wanted to see if you guys had any favorite areas to camp and/or hike in North Texas. I have spent some time up in Broken Bow, Ardmore and outside Bridgeport. Broken Bow is a great area to kayak and camp and Lake Murray State Park was an easy drive from Dallas. Any weekend spots around the DFW area I am missing out on?

Pyriel
Fair Weather Camper

Re: Camping in North Texas

Post by Pyriel » Fri May 31, 2013 9:01 pm

The cross timbers trail on lake Texoma is an ok place. It is right before the bridge on 377. Just a little further into oklahoma is the wichata mountains national wildlife refuge whicj is awesome. It is just north of lawton.

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:28 am

If a lake scenario is what you are looking for check out the lakes closest to you to see if they have "primitive" camping areas. These area have no electricity, water or toilet facilities and are perfect for a quick getaway overnighter. These sites can vary a lot though so do your homework before you go. Some have specific campsites where you have to make your fire in a "fire ring" where others have no restrictions on ground fires. Visit the site and hike around to all the campsites first. You will find that some sites are so close together that you can actually see the tents of other campers from your site. That sort of defeats the whole purpose in my view.

I live in Dallas and was planning a trip to Lake Texhoma recently. On a whim I made a short visit to Lake Lewisville which is only 10 or 15 miles away. I found a huge primitive camping area available on a first come first served basis. What surprised me was that they allow you to camp any place you want not just in the campsites. There was about a half a mile hike in to get to where we camped and so my wife and I decided to spend the day, then stayed the night, and spent the next day. Never saw anyone except two joggers who upon seeing us immediately turned around and left. We only took our canteens and two 2 liter bottles of water which was gone the first afternoon. I had to use my little homemade PVC filter to clean up the nasty, turbid lake water, then boiled it to refill everything. That's a lot of water processing for 2 people. In retrospect, I should have started processing some before we ran out.

The weird thing with most of these places is that one of their rules says there is "no gathering of firewood". I understood it when I saw the bin of firewood bundles for sale. I got to know one of the girls at the desk and she told me not to worry about it that nobody really checks and the rule was for the idiot campers so they don't go around chopping down or killing all the trees. No one bothers you so I don't think it would be a problem anywhere else if you only use dead stuff and are respectful of the area and leave it clean when you leave. You know, leave no sign.

Maddcrash
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Maddcrash » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:16 pm

I would like to hear more on this myself. I think Oklahoma has better camping than Texas and that makes me sad .

Cleanair
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Cleanair » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:01 am

Hey guys, new to the forum. If you are ever West of DFW and can drop by Mineral Wells it's worth your time. At Mineral Wells State Park they have hike-in primitive camp sights. they are almost always vacant for the most part. I've been twice and only saw a guy walking his hunting dog. I found evidence of someone making primitive fire (spindles, etc.). At one of the camp sites. However, if you go be sure to pack-in enough water. Super hydrate before you go during our hotter months. There is no bathrooms, fountains, or anything of the sort for at least a couple miles by foot. I always call the park before I go to see if anyone has made reservations at the primitive sites. There's only 3-5 of them if I remember correctly. On your way out of the park it is worth your time to check out Penitentiary Hollow. it's small haven for rock climbers but accessible by a steep rock staircase to the bottom. I'll display a picture below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Cleanair for the post:
TXHillbilly (Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:33 pm)
Rating: 11.11%

Cleanair
Fair Weather Camper

Camping in North Texas

Post by Cleanair » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:01 am

Does anyone know of any cabins in the DFW area that are hike/paddle in? I'm needing to ease my wife into tent/hammock camping.

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:10 am

As far as I know there are no 'hike in' cabins anywhere. Cabins are for a different kind of crowd and are almost always drive in scenarios. The cabin my wife and I rented recently at Lake Lewisville ($30.00/night) was on the end of a line of cabins with nothing but woods on one side and at least 100 yards to the next cabin. She stayed in the cabin and I was outside in my hammock. Fantastic 4 days!

http://www.forum.txbushcraft.com/viewto ... f=10&t=384

CampWalker
Fair Weather Camper

Post by CampWalker » Mon May 12, 2014 8:36 am

Hey coolijt2, My family and I are planning a trip to Broken Bow this year…what are particular spots you recommend…

ECHO26
Fair Weather Camper

Post by ECHO26 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:02 pm

I frequent LBJ Grasslands in decatur it has alot of ponds creeks most of them are dry if anyone wants to join us next time we go your more then welcome, and I dont see very many people out there been there atleast 20 times for 3-4 days at a time

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:41 am

CampWalker wrote:Hey coolijt2, My family and I are planning a trip to Broken Bow this year…what are particular spots you recommend…
Been a while since I was in the Broken Bow area. One of my favorites is up and down the Glover river. Last time I got busted by a Ranger and had to pay a hefty "Land Use Permit" since I was out of state. He said there was a sign but I never saw one when we entered the area. Kinda put a damper on my intentions of ever going back. I've been up there a hundred times and never had to pay a fee before. Never knew they changed the rules. Maybe it's just the Weyerhauser land that requires this but I would check it out before you go next time.