Hello.

Introduce yourself. Location, reason you enjoy bushcraft, what brought you here.
mereel Kestan
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello.

Post by mereel Kestan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Hello everyone. Thanks for the add. I will be moving to Texas here in the next few weeks and just wanted to get a head start on the bushcraft angle. I am from Minnesota where it is currently 20 degrees with a foot of snow. It's been snowing for two days straight. Looking forward to living in Texas, and I look forward to some bushcraft in a new place.

Woodsman Wannabe
Fair Weather Camper

Re: Hello.

Post by Woodsman Wannabe » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:58 pm

Hello and Welcome!

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:10 pm

WELCOME! Man, that's quite the swing in climates. Glad you found us. Where abouts are you moving?

mereel Kestan
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0

Post by mereel Kestan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:43 pm

BigJesse wrote:WELCOME! Man, that's quite the swing in climates. Glad you found us. Where abouts are you moving?
San Antonio. My biggest worry is the weather. I don't do the heat well, but I lived in Missouri
for a while so I can probably tolerate it. I like the cold up here, I understand it, but I gotta move. Too many changes to what it used to be.

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:54 pm

I've lived here in Texas my whole life and still hate the heat. I have to acclimate to it every year. Take a few months but by the end of summer I'm accustomed to it. That doesn't mean I don't pray for a cold winter. My "cold" is probably a little different than yours though. LOL The joke is Texans wear hoodies in the 60s and it's true.
Welcome aboard and keep your eyes on the Upcoming Events board we have fairly frequent meet ups.

YoungBlacksmith
Wet Tinder

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 am

Welcome to the south! Don't worry too much about the heat, there's always air conditioning if you overheat or need a break. Just think more water, less clothes, move slower and deliberately, and more activity between sunrise and noon than noon and 6.
Aaron

"G.W. Sears would not have tolerated MRE's, that is not what Woodcraft and Camping is all about." - Jeffro

saustin1967
Novice Knife Maker

Post by saustin1967 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 am

Had an instructor once he was from Ohio, explained it like this, The difference in Up North and Texas. Up north you run from a warm house to a warm vehicle, in Texas you run from a cool house to a cool vehicle.
Will definitely take some getting used to, whole different environment. Invest in shorts and t shirts, coming from where you are, you will probably never be cold in SA. Also, it is a whole different type of heat than Missouri, we consider them Yankee's.
Welcome aboard, we try and have a get together at least once a quarter. Keep an eye on the upcoming events sub forum.
2018 - 13 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Post by jeffro » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Howdy from the Rocky Hollow. Welcome to Texas it may be hot but you can get Sweet Tea, Shiner Beer,Chicken Fried Steak with peppered cream gravy, real pit barbecue what has come from a cow and you ain't got to eat no Lutefisk.
Conjugus non unum

DBX
Camp Curmudgeon Master Edge Technician

Post by DBX » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Welcome from the Gulf Coast!
"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." -Troll wisdom

Climate change started with the Big Bang.