TXhillbilly - Introduction

Introduce yourself. Location, reason you enjoy bushcraft, what brought you here.
TXHillbilly
Fair Weather Camper

TXhillbilly - Introduction

Post by TXHillbilly » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:46 pm

I call myself Texas Hillbilly because my family (on both sides) is from the hills of Kentucky, but I am a Texan. I was raised hillbilly style. That means lots of good home cooking, playing in the woods whenever I could, and a fierce love of family. Now some folks think that being called a hillbilly is an insult. Those folks have never been around a true hillbilly family. Hillbillies can make due wherever they are with whatever they have. They are survivors. They are independent. And they are happy to be so.

Now if you had to make due growing up, you probably got caught up in the magic and technology and comparative opulence of city living like I did. However the older I get, the more I find myself longing for the old ways. Over the past several years I have read, studied, and practiced every bushcraft skill I could find. I am more at peace in the woods than anywhere else. I study the old tools and ways of getting things done, but that doesn't mean that I don't take advantage of modern technology from time to time to help "smooth it". I am not a big gear guy. Less is better for me. I have what I need and use what I have.

Besides that, I am a Christian, Veteran, Husband, Granddad to some wee ones, and a patriot. I love my country and the vast natural resources that it has to offer. I want my kids and their kids to be able to enjoy it and come to treasure it like I do. Besides bushcraft I dabble in leatherworking, gunsmithing, whittling, making things out of paracord (like hammocks, nets, wristbands, etc), and reading. I have read all of Dave Canterbury's books, several of Jeff Cooper's books, Kochanski, Ellsworth Jeager, D.C. Beard, George Washington Sears, and a bunch of others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Thanks for letting me join in the group. I look forward to learning from all of you.
These users thanked the author TXHillbilly for the post (total 3):
BigJesse (Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 am) • saustin1967 (Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:14 am) • YoungBlacksmith (Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:39 am)
Rating: 33.33%

BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: TXhillbilly - Introduction

Post by BigJesse » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:09 am

Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot to share. Glad to have you here. Hopefully you can make it to one of our meetups next year.
These users thanked the author BigJesse for the post (total 2):
TXHillbilly (Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:25 pm) • DBX (Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 am)
Rating: 22.22%

YoungBlacksmith
Wet Tinder

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:38 am

Welcome TXhillbilly, nice to meet you! I was caught up in the city life for about 6 years, but it was always a way to get where I wanted to be.
These users thanked the author YoungBlacksmith for the post (total 2):
TXHillbilly (Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:25 pm) • DBX (Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 am)
Aaron

"G.W. Sears would not have tolerated MRE's, that is not what Woodcraft and Camping is all about." - Jeffro

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Post by jeffro » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 am

Welcome from the Rocky Hollow in Central Texas.
These users thanked the author jeffro for the post:
TXHillbilly (Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:25 pm)
Rating: 11.11%
Conjugus non unum

Daywalker 964
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Daywalker 964 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Welcome from Stockdale TX. Kinda grew up a hillbilly myself, only in Fla. Was raised in a place called Thomas’s swamp, the only entertainment for about 30 miles was the swamp and a fish camp. Peace
These users thanked the author Daywalker 964 for the post (total 2):
DBX (Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 am) • TXHillbilly (Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:07 am)
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.