Rock Climbing

Texas Hangman
Wet Tinder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rock Climbing

Post by Texas Hangman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Any climbers here? I'm into bouldering and rock climbing alike. I've never lead climbed, but I've belayed for my buddy while he did. I've just top rope sport routs and played on boulders. It's been a while since I've done any climbing, but once the weather warms up and summer gets here I'll be back at it.

BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: Rock Climbing

Post by BigJesse » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Never tried it. It always seemed a bit sketchy suspending my 280lb butt in the air with nothing but a rope. Does seem fun though.
2020 - 6 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:39 am

Young man's sport. Did a little in Colorado but the pucker factor was just too much to allow me to enjoy it much. Just a weiny I guess. I do carry a figure eight and a good dynamic rope if I am in an area like Colorado in case I need to get down a steep cliff. Tying a swiss seat is quick and easy for some impromtu rapelling, but that's a whole other animal from freehand rock climbing.

Tim
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tim » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 am

Back in college I did a little. At Texas Tech they had a rock wall for practice, and then every once and a while we would do some trips. I enjoyed the little stuff I did, but had no desire to get into it any more than what I did.

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:17 am

Tim wrote:Back in college I did a little. At Texas Tech they had a rock wall for practice, and then every once and a while we would do some trips. I enjoyed the little stuff I did, but had no desire to get into it any more than what I did.
Ha, ha! Another Red Raider here. Back in the late seventies when Steve Sloan was coach, one of the six karate schools I owned (Texas Karate Institute) was across the street from the quadrangle on University next door to Buffalo Beano's. I was asked to train the team one year in flexibility exercises and speed drills. I guess that should be another thread altogether perhaps. It paid off though with 12% fewer injuries that year. Never knew they had a rock wall.

Tim
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tim » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:36 pm

They built the rock wall around 2000 or 2001 when they renovated and added on to the rec center

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Post by Pointman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:46 am

Well, that 'splains it. I moved back to Dallas around 1986.