The Alone Series

What ever is on your mind.
Hale
Fair Weather Camper

The Alone Series

Post by Hale »

I usually watch a lot of shows and movies on streams in the winter and ended up getting back into the Alone series. I wondered if any of ye aw had watched the show recently.

I watched season one back when it came out and thought it was cool, watched it again and I'm in the middle of season three as of this evening. There are some REALLY talented, crafty people they drafted for that show and several I'd want to have a beer and campfire with!

The people that kept projects going seemed to do the best, and attitude is definitely everything in that situation! I've worked in remote areas (50 mi. from the nearest gas station at times) and even with limited interaction among co-workers I can't put up with it anymore. I like people and Whataburger too much to keep on like that. Let alone having no one to talk to, no books or even a fishing boat passing by like these contestants had to deal with.

Mike Lowe, Nicole and Jose had to be my favorites so far. Tracy, the retired LEO seemed really apt for a long term situation in the wild but didn't get the chance after the bear encounter. Mike had a whole kitchen and wash basin set up and it was interesting watching Nicole contend against seals -and- bears for fish.

Anyway I'm rambling and enjoying the series. I may be getting the bug for actual woodcraft and campfires again..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Basil: Is there something wrong? | Elder Herr: Will you stop talking about the war? | Basil: Me! You started it! | Elder Herr: We did not start it! | Basil: Yes you did — you invaded Poland.
BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: The Alone Series

Post by BigJesse »

I was a fan for a long time. I still enjoy the show but don't have the time to watch anymore.

I've been lucky enough to meet Larry Roberts and Phillip Liebel. Both were participants of Alone.

Larry was 2nd place on season 2 (Vancouver Island) and came back season 5 (Mongolia) to get 3rd. In January 2020 myself along with friend and 2019 gathering host Billy took his winter survival class in MN. It was -19⁰ with a windchill of -30⁰. I was thoroughly impressed with his comfort in that temp.

Phillip Liebel was on Alone: The Beast. Unfortunately his episodes never aired in the US. I met him through Jonathan Burton and he was gracious enough to teach a couple classes at out 2019 gathering in Goldthwaite. Exceptionally good at primitive skills particularly Cherokee methods.

It amazing what really gets people through those times. I'd say the majority is mental. Most people tap out because they miss family, not food. Season 5 was my favorite. Mostly because of who won (not trying to spoil it). The underdog came through because of determination and promise to family.

I haven't watched any of the newer seasons but I might need to make some time to check them out. Maybe invest in a VPN to check out Phillip's episodes.

2021 - 12 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook
YoungBlacksmith
Day Hiker

Post by YoungBlacksmith »

Phillip was on Alone?!? I really enjoyed his friction fire class at the gathering, and would love to spend more time with him, just being people, not teaching. He used a spear pointed Opinel to make his fire board, ingenious I thought.
Aaron

"G.W. Sears would not have tolerated MRE's, that is not what Woodcraft and Camping is all about." - Jeffro
BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse »

YoungBlacksmith wrote:Phillip was on Alone?!?
Yeah but for some reason they only aired it in Canada. It wasn't the traditional Alone. They had to survive off of the resources from an animal. I really dont know the exact rules/situation they were given.
Phillip was never given an answer to why they never showed it here.

saustin1967
One with the Wilderness

Post by saustin1967 »

BigJesse wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:50 pm
Yeah but for some reason they only aired it in Canada. It wasn't the traditional Alone. They had to survive off of the resources from an animal. I really dont know the exact rules/situation they were given.
Actually I think they got that worked out.
I watch his episode on the History Channel app on my FireStick
2021 - 9 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse »

saustin1967 wrote:
Cool, guess I need to check that out.

saustin1967
One with the Wilderness

Post by saustin1967 »

BigJesse wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:34 am
saustin1967 wrote:
Cool, guess I need to check that out.
well I lied, I just checked and it is not available any longer.
But, I did watch it a few months ago,.
2021 - 9 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Hale
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Hale »

I saw Larry Roberts on Vancouver Island and wondered if he would last very long with his initial attitude towards the place..

Then I realized this is the most honest guy on the show. He's swearing and kicking his way through progress like I do in daily life, and especially with any mechanical problem. He's a cool dude! Really resilient and funny when he turns up some good luck.

Just finished watching the Mongolia season and man that was cool! I'm getting so much more stoked to get back into woodcraft and good campfires. Britt was too cool, this guy is an office worker, not a survival instructor like some others and he just kept plugging away like an ace through snow and everything. Cool guy.
Basil: Is there something wrong? | Elder Herr: Will you stop talking about the war? | Basil: Me! You started it! | Elder Herr: We did not start it! | Basil: Yes you did — you invaded Poland.
Hale
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Hale »

I laughed good when X CONTESTANT WINNER OF SEASON FIVE finally realizes they won and looks at the medical check crew and says "Alright who has food? which one of you brought food?!"
White Falcon
Fair Weather Camper

Post by White Falcon »