Best Book To Take Out in the Field?

Share your sources for researching, identifying, learning, etc. Books, websites, videos, etc.
Chris H
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best Book To Take Out in the Field?

Post by Chris H » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Hey folks,

I have a number of bushcraft and survival books in ebook that I read on my iPad, but I wanted to ask y'all about what you thought was the best book to take out with you in the field. So, basically, if you could only take one bushcraft book with you out in the field, what would it be?
“The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nature

Pointman
Bush Wacker

Re: Best Book To Take Out in the Field?

Post by Pointman » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:42 am

Books are heavy and "knowledge weighs nothing". I expect you will get a lot of different answers but to my mind it would depend on an individual's skill level. I might take a wild edibles book if my general bushcraft skills were up to snuff and my plant lore was weak. Same would hold true with tree identification, knots, and traps. With this line of thought, it would appear that it is going to depend on the weakest area of the individual's expertise. Traps are my weakest area but I would never carry a heavy book. I would transfer the ones I need to learn onto some 3x5 laminated index cards which would most likely be 10 or less. Your thoughts?

GreyOne
Fair Weather Camper

Post by GreyOne » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:28 pm

I cannot pick a single "best: book. It depends so much on where I am going, who I might be with, and what skills I might intend to work on. Taking a book on tracking, or one on edible wild plants, or one on traps- all have been of use on specific trips. Since I love to read and find it relaxing I almost always carry something to read for evening relaxation or those lazy times spent under shelter while a storm blows through.
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without !- Grandad's advice

Chris H
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Chris H » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm definitely thinking that it is pretty much dependent on assessing the areas that need more development, and then bringing something that can help you practice.
“The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nature