New Moras: Initial Impressions

KBars, Moras, Opinels, etc
Bill
Day Hiker
Has thanked: 0

New Moras: Initial Impressions

Post by Bill » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 am

So I finally had some extra cash lying around and decided to get the new Moras I have been seeing on the inter webs, the one from last year and the two new ones. Its been a while since I did a product review and I though I would like to try it out. Here are my initial impression after a weekend out with the boyscouts. Also they are all stainless and I will not spend any time here debating the benefits of stainless vs carbon steel.

Garberg: This is a stout knife and you can definitely feel its weight in your hand. It is not too heavy to use and I did not find myself getting tired with it. Honestly I like it better than my Brothers of Bushcraft knife from TOPS which is more expensive. This has a good weight and feel to it for a full tang knife. It made feather sticks with no trouble, split small logs via battening without a problem and overall performed all the task I would expect a full tang knife to do. I found the handle to be very comfortable and easy to use. Honestly I think this will become my new primary blade. It also threw very well though it balance point is not quite at center, the only reason I know this is that I was running the Tomahawk and Knife throwing station for the camp out and figured why not, and once i found its balance point it threw well every time. I don't recommend it as a throwing knife but in a pinch it will work.

Kansbol: This was a great blade and has replaced my bushcraft black as my primary bushcraft knife and I absolutely loved the bushcraft black. It has a similar blade size to the Garberg but is thinner and has a slightly different grind profile similar to the Mora 2000. The boys got their fire going for the night but did not have enough small sticks, I grabbed a medium size piece of Ash Juniper about two inches think and started in on it making large shaving with this knife as it was what I had on me at the time and it ate through the wood like it was butter. It was great at notching and better than the Garberg at making feather sticks. It also is very light for its size and I honestly forgot I was wearing it on my belt.

Eldris: I have the knife and the neck knife kit and wore it as such. This has a short blade only 2.2 inches and it works great for its intended tasks, making feather sticks, cutting cord and is an exceptional carving knife. It has a nice beefy handle which does not tire out your hand like some small neck knives do and is very comfortable to use for an extended amount of time. As a backup blade or a neck knife its great however I would not consider it a primary blade as it is too short to do many tasks including food prep.

All the knives threw sparks wonderfully and worked great as a scraper for making tinder as they have a very sharp 90 degree spine and I would recommend any of them as a bushcraft knife and the Garberg would make a fair general survival knife. I will upload some pics when I get them taken but I wanted to give you guys an initial impression. I will probably be selling some of my higher end knives the I don't ever use and these will become my mainstays.
"Well, crap I left it in the other pack." Words of a bushcraft gear junkie.

www.roundrockoutdoors.com

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Re: New Moras: Initial Impressions

Post by jeffro » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks Bill. I never met a Mora I didn't like.
Conjugus non unum

Bill
Day Hiker

Post by Bill » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:05 pm

jeffro wrote:Thanks Bill. I never met a Mora I didn't like.
I have had some arguments with my classic No 2 where it nicked me a bit but yeah they are great.

Bill
Day Hiker

Post by Bill » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:44 pm

As promised here are pics
Garberg is black
Kansbol is green
Eldris is blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saustin1967
Novice Knife Maker

Post by saustin1967 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:28 am

I am going to assume that when you say "Threw Sparks" you meant from a Ferro Rod. Not traditional flint/chert. Never seen stainless throw sparks from flint.

I agree with Jeff, gotta love a mora.
unless it is Mora Bob
2019 - 8 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bill
Day Hiker

Post by Bill » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:17 am

saustin1967 wrote:I am going to assume that when you say "Threw Sparks" you meant from a Ferro Rod. Not traditional flint/chert. Never seen stainless throw sparks from flint.

I agree with Jeff, gotta love a mora.
unless it is Mora Bob
Yes from a ferro rod, its stainless steel so it won't work with a rock.

Bill
Day Hiker

Post by Bill » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:34 pm

Minor Update on the Kansbol, I have been using it for a couple of weeks now in the kitchen for food prep. It functions very well, obviously it slices, it dices but it also spreads very well, spreading mayo and PB&J like a champ. Which makes me think this knife is probably going to be almost the perfect all around utility knife in camp. It actually beats out my mora companion or Bushcraft black when it comes to the important job of spreading peanut butter.

OMark
Fair Weather Camper
Been thanked: 0

Post by OMark » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Nice, thanks for the write up. I've been throwing around the idea of grabbing a Kansbol for awhile now. Just might have have to pull the trigger.

Bill
Day Hiker

Post by Bill » Sun May 07, 2017 9:06 pm

OMark wrote:Nice, thanks for the write up. I've been throwing around the idea of grabbing a Kansbol for awhile now. Just might have have to pull the trigger.
I have been very happy with mine. I would get it if you have a nice chopper and want a good all around general purpose knife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamsSeth
Fair Weather Camper

Post by AdamsSeth » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:11 am

I have dozens of different Morakniv models, love them all.. I mount Ferro Rods and Fatwood on them all.. and give every student that takes my beginner class an HD Companion ready to rock!!