I need some axe heads hung

Wetterlings, Gransfors, Bacho, Pocket chainsaw, etc
The-Wood-Stove
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I need some axe heads hung

Post by The-Wood-Stove » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:16 pm

I believe hung is the correct term for placing a handle on them. Anyway I have two plumb double bits and a HB hatchet that I need completed. The hatchet has a handle with it but it's loose. The double bits are just heads without handles. Can anyone out there do it for me for a fair price? Or point me in the right direction? Thanks

BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: I need some axe heads hung

Post by BigJesse » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:37 pm

Do it yourself bud. It's not as difficult as some of the axe snobs out there make it seem.
Here is a good place to find said handle: https://www.househandle.com/ DON'T GET ONE WITH LACQUER and a few extra bucks for the "AA" handpicked quality is worth it.

And a video by Shnick (a forum member) of him hafting an axe:
[youtube][/youtube]
2020 - 3 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook

The-Wood-Stove
Fair Weather Camper

Post by The-Wood-Stove » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 am

Thank you sir. I'm ready to put these old axes back up work

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:07 am

Keep us up to date. I'd like to see the finished product.
2020 - 3 Nights Under The Stars
Personal Best: 17 Nights (2019)

Texas Bushcraft's YouTube, Texas Bushcraft's Facebook

Scratch4x4
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Scratch4x4 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:13 pm

House handle has the best service with the broadest array of replacement handles. Theres a few other brands that make more apecialized sizes, like Beaver Tooth handles. I just finished this True Temper tomahawk last night. 18" handle from beaver tooth.

Get you a rasp called a "4 in hand" at your local hardware store and some sand paper. Take your time, ask questions if you have any. Its not dofficult, I promise.

Once you have the end of the kerf into the bottom of the eye, hold the axe handle with the head dangling and gice the base of the haft a few light taps with a mallet, dead blow, or even a ball peen like i use. (Take care not to hit off center which can split the grain if you hit it hard enough). Then look in the top of the eye, see where the wood is contacting and where its not. Pull the head off, use the rasp on the contact areas to try to even it out for full contact.

Rinse and repeat till you have the head down on the shoulder where you want it. Make sure the edge is in line with the handle. The kerf cut should be about 2/3 down into the head of the axe, you may need to cut it a little deeper depending on where it ends up.

Trim the wedge a bit to the size of the eye.

Before i pound in the wedge on mine, I like to be liberal with some boiled linseed oil on, around, and inside the kerf cut. Then smear some more on the wedge itself. It makes for an easier time getting it seated and will help with swelling and protection from moisture.

Take your time, and dont forget to show us!

Bill
Day Hiker

Post by Bill » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Re handling an axe is a wonderful experience, take your time and learn with it. I have done several and it is a very relaxing and therapeutic hobby.
My Collection
IMG_6019.jpg
This was my Dads, I restored it and re hung it and gave it to him for his birthday, he then passed it down to his oldest grandson, so its back at my house.
IMG_5908.jpg
This was my grandfathers, i restored the head, and hung it, its kid of odd now as its a boys axe, 1 1/2 pound head on a full length handle, I could cut it down, but it swings nicely and the handle is somewhat thin and overall its very usable.
IMG_6015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Well, crap I left it in the other pack." Words of a bushcraft gear junkie.

www.roundrockoutdoors.com

AdamsSeth
Fair Weather Camper

Post by AdamsSeth » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:27 am

Hafted not Hung..
Remember Kids, 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Redundancy is a good thing. Have a backup for your backup.