Curious???

Bow Drill, Hand Drill, Fire Saw, Flint and Steel, etc. What is your favorite method and do you have your own way?
kaywoodie
Camp Curmudgeon Bard

Curious???

Post by kaywoodie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:03 am

I have all manner of fire making stuff. But was just wondering if anyone other than myself (and possibly Jeffro) still pack a Zippo when in the woods?

I’m just settin’ here at the breakfast table looking at the black bellied whistling ducks that come in every morning and have coffee with me and thinkin’ up stuff.
"I have some friends some honest friends, and honest friends are few; my pipe of briar, my open fire, a book that's not too new. "

Robert W. Service

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Re: Curious???

Post by jeffro » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:14 am

I have to confess that I am an accelerant abuser. I will unabashedly, without regret or remorse, shamelessly use charcoal lighter or diesel oil to light a fire with a lighter. Don't even make me own up to my sinful use of a pear burner.
Conjugus non unum

kaywoodie
Camp Curmudgeon Bard

Post by kaywoodie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:24 am

Pear burners are damn handy when it’s cold and wet!!! Like real wet!!!
Like Jesse just showed up and the flood of biblical proportions is coming, wet!
;)
"I have some friends some honest friends, and honest friends are few; my pipe of briar, my open fire, a book that's not too new. "

Robert W. Service

YoungBlacksmith
Fair Weather Camper

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:29 am

Not a zippo, but usually a pipe lighter. While it's fun doing more primitive methods, when I want a fire now, I use a lighter.
Aaron

kaywoodie
Camp Curmudgeon Bard

Post by kaywoodie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:30 am

Hey, that works too!!!

Robert W. Service

Oathkeeper762
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Oathkeeper762 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:58 am

kaywoodie wrote:I have all manner of fire making stuff. But was just wondering if anyone other than myself (and possibly Jeffro) still pack a Zippo when in the woods?

I’m just settin’ here at the breakfast table looking at the black bellied whistling ducks that come in every morning and have coffee with me and thinkin’ up stuff.
I always carry my zippo. I’ve never smoked but I started carrying one I found on campus as an edc back in my college days, 80’s, I’m old. I don’t really use it in the woods, I use my Ferro rod, but on occasions I’ve burnt the ends of paracord and maybe started a handful of fires when I was in a hurry but I like having it in my pocket and along with my pocket knife, I just don’t leave home without them.

Oathkeeper762
Fair Weather Camper

Curious???

Post by Oathkeeper762 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:59 am

kaywoodie
Camp Curmudgeon Bard

Post by kaywoodie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:04 am

It’s ok Oathkeeper!! Jeffro and I are old too!!! :D

Robert W. Service

Woodsman Wannabe
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Woodsman Wannabe » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:21 pm

I have never owned a Zippo (Blaspheme, I know). When melting paracord ends, I use whatever fire is handy, usually the butane grill lighter.
Since I have been a Born Again Bushcrafter, my outdoorsy fires have been started with a ferro rod.

DBX
Camp Curmudgeon Master Edge Technician

Post by DBX » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:27 pm

kaywoodie wrote:It’s ok Oathkeeper!! Jeffro and I are old too!!! :D
Bawahahaha!
"If you wants to understan' an enemy, you gotta walk a mile in his shoes. Den, if he's still your enemy, at least you're a mile away and he's got no shoes." -Troll wisdom

Climate change started with the Big Bang.