Anvil Alternatives for forging.

KBars, Moras, Opinels, etc
Rattlesnake90
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anvil Alternatives for forging.

Post by Rattlesnake90 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Not sure if this topic is in the right section. Apologies in advance, but i am very much so interested in forging my own knife. Curiosity due to budget, has had me thinking of alternatives to an Anvil.. Maybe in the future i will locate one or "rail road track" haha.. I am novice to this and interested in any information that you guys may bless me with, is much appreciated.

saustin1967
Novice Knife Maker

Re: Anvil Alternatives for forging.

Post by saustin1967 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:32 am

First - forging in the heat of Texas summer, spring or fall, is brutal.

Hit up a scrap metal yard, find a large chunk of steel. Railroad track, forklift tines, what you are looking for is a large piece, 30 - 50 pounds(10/1 hammer size). If you plan on using a 3 lb hammer, minimum 30 lbs. Mass is the key.

While most blacksmiths disparage the Blue Harbor Freight anvils( and they are crap), they will work for starters. As long as you have you steel at a good forging temp, it should move fine on one.

Heat source, I started with a 2 brick forge. Two 2400 degree soft fire bricks, and a Lowes Propane torch. Lots of You Tube videos on how to build.

HF 2.5lb engineers hammer - Polish the faces.

HF long reach Needle nose vise grips ( get two pair, the heat will weaken the jaws)

Heat and beat.
2018 - 13 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

YoungBlacksmith
Wet Tinder

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:30 am

A 4-5" round or square chunk, stuck into a stump, or even better, buried deep in the ground solid, makes a pretty good anvil. Check out some of the pictures and videos of Asian blacksmiths making parangs, they don't have much to work with and they crank out some decent stuff. Also look into some of the more portable set-ups, it will give you lots of ideas. I'd like to get a stump anvil to play with, but I need to get the forge working again first...

Aaron

RMAR
Professional Baton Maker
Has thanked: 0

Post by RMAR » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 pm

Pretty much what those guys said. I'll add one more thing that I have read about and that is you can get away with using a large sledge hammer head buried in a stump. I have seen plenty of 16# sledges at the scrapyard that would work fine. Just be sure to always hit glowing steel in this instance. But like Scott said hit the scrapyard and find a hunk of metal. You don't have to have a London pattern anvil to blacksmith. One of the coolest anvils I have ever seen was made by a blacksmith named Brian Brazeal. They call it a Brazeal anvil for obvious reasons. Google it and look at the features it has. Think out of the box.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=R8IpW9 ... 5Tq479SrNM:

I also love my harbor freight hammers.

YoungBlacksmith
Wet Tinder

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:59 am

Thanks Randy, the Brazeal anvil looks interesting!
Aaron