Island with James 08-19-18

Tell us what is coming up. If you're going for a day hike or a month long excursion.
BigJesse
Site Admin

Island with James 08-19-18

Post by BigJesse » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Did a quick overnighter with my buddy James this weekend. The excuse to get out was to set up his hammock. The temperature was pretty good considering it was over 100°F the day before. Only got to about 94°F with cloud cover for most of the day.
I got out there pretty early, 9am, didn't want to set up in the heat. Set up my hammock, got fed up with my SUPER sticky whoopie slings so I made some new ones. Orange this time. Walked around for awhile. Tried out my LifeStraw that I got on sale on Amazon. Lounged around some more. Finally set up my tarp only to realize my trees were too close. Improvised. Got back to lounging. Ate lunch, Spam and Cheez-It per usual. Lounged, again.
James had prior arrangements so wasn't able to get out there till around 4pm, any later and he woulda been wet on the hike in. We had just enough time to set up his newly acquired hammock ;) and tarp (for the first time) before it came a short but strong torrential downpour. A 30mph wind made us baton down the hatches before getting drenched, luckily it was only us and not the gear that got wet. But with the temp the rain was nice.
Soaked and with it still raining James decided to go fishing and I tagged along. With only one good bite and no fish caught we finally gave up and went swimming. After James took a few poorly attempted backflips off a rope we tried fishing once more. This time we set our eyes on smaller game and caught a few perch and then released them.
With it getting dark we headed back up to camp, set up the Snow Peak stove and ate our meals. He had Backpacker's Pantry jerk chicken and I had a Packit Gourmet shepherd's pie. A few more hours of talking passed before finally being tired and dry enough to go to sleep.
Without hesitation as soon as my eyes opened the rain began again. We broke camp before it got any worse and walked back to the cars through the river.

I didn't take a lot of pictures. Here's what I got for ya:

saustin1967
Novice Knife Maker

Re: Island with James 08-19-18

Post by saustin1967 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Looks like a nice little trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2018 - 13 Nights Under the Stars
Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast
non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es
à tout le monde, à tous mes amis, je vous aime"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

YoungBlacksmith
Wet Tinder

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:04 am

Good to see James is enjoying getting out still. And you've still got the rain bringer curse. :) I may need to have you come out here, it's been extremely dry this summer. Burn bans are everywhere.
Aaron

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:55 am

Yeah, it was nice getting out and the rain made it much more tolerable than the recent heat. I've had an urge to hit The Island as of late. The spot I picked was right off the river bed up high so the breeze would get to us, but that turned out to be a problem when the storm rolled in. The initial hit from the front blew our tarps around like they were flags. It calmed down pretty quickly luckily.
If I could control this curse a little better I'd charge for it, but I have noticed that it seems to be more prevalent when I'm with others.