Looking for a new water bottle

Share your sources for researching, identifying, learning, etc. Books, websites, videos, etc.
Tpvegas
Fair Weather Camper
Has thanked: 0

Looking for a new water bottle

Post by Tpvegas » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:14 pm

I'm looking for a new water bottle what do you guys suggest and what is the price range it is in

BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a new water bottle

Post by BigJesse » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Tpvegas wrote:I'm looking for a new water bottle what do you guys suggest and what is the price range it is in
I'm guessing you mean a stainless steel one? If so really any one will do. I've had a few from just about everywhere. Just finding them is the issue.
Honestly just go to the dollar store and look. I've found a few there. They're normally branded for children I've found. No more than about $5. The sizes are variable with 20oz being the norm. As for the quality I've had no issues just make sure they're not double walled and make sure to throw it in the fire once before boilong anything in it.
The same goes for Walmart and any other grocery store but they'll be more expensive.

If you're looking for a reputable source for your bottle I'd definitely go with Self Reliance Outfitters. They're stainless steel is hard to beat. They run about $30. https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/ ... er-bottles

But to be fair any stainless steel bottle will work. Try not to put too much thought into it.

Hopefully that helps.
These users thanked the author BigJesse for the post:
DBX (Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:27 am)
Rating: 11.11%

Tpvegas
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tpvegas » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:29 am

That works thanks I was over thinking it I have one I got from good will like 5 years ago it has a small mouth but I dont need it to boil water my main pot has a coffie press that best in it so I can't store my bottle in it anyway I keep over thinking my kit instead of Simplifying it but I do that with most things
These users thanked the author Tpvegas for the post (total 2):
YoungBlacksmith (Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:45 pm) • DBX (Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:28 am)
Rating: 22.22%

BigJesse
Site Admin

Post by BigJesse » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:21 am

Tpvegas wrote:That works thanks I was over thinking it I have one I got from good will like 5 years ago it has a small mouth but I dont need it to boil water my main pot has a coffie press that best in it so I can't store my bottle in it anyway I keep over thinking my kit instead of Simplifying it but I do that with most things
I'm the same way. I have to force myself to downplay my gear. Also, the Stanley cook kits at Walmart are great for just about anything.
These users thanked the author BigJesse for the post (total 2):
YoungBlacksmith (Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:45 pm) • JungleJim (Tue May 07, 2019 3:41 pm)

Tpvegas
Fair Weather Camper

Post by Tpvegas » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Ya I just got a Stanley French press from academy so that is my mane pot now
These users thanked the author Tpvegas for the post (total 2):
BigJesse (Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 pm) • DBX (Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:28 am)

YoungBlacksmith
Wet Tinder

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:49 pm

I've gone around and around with water bottles, but I always come back to a Mil-surplus canteen. It's convenient, inexpensive, and usually pairs nicely with a cup. The French ones are aluminum canteen and cup, hold about a liter, and have a wide mouth. Nothing wrong with a US one though. But, if you prefer carrying your water in your pack, a wide mouth Nalgene seems popular paired with a SS cup for boiling.

I prefer boiling and heating in my coffee/camp pot, either a Stanley or a Snow Peak Kettle 1.
Aaron

"G.W. Sears would not have tolerated MRE's, that is not what Woodcraft and Camping is all about." - Jeffro

NeckRed Gringo
Artist Formerly Known as SD Woodsman

Post by NeckRed Gringo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:04 am

Amazon and self reliance outfitters have Klean canteen style bottle and are solid as a rock. I think containers are one of those kit items that I invest into the quality. Last thing you want is your bottle failing you and not being able to cook or boil water. I carry both klean canteens, one 40oz and a smaller 27oz for everyday. The pathfinder cup fits great on the 40oz.

Woodsman Wannabe
Wet Tinder

Post by Woodsman Wannabe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:02 pm

I have a collection of Nalgene polycabonate that I have stumbled onto when clearance priced. They get paired with stainless steel cups that nest around the bottle. Recently I picked up an aluminum grease pot at Family Dollar for $5. That is what get put in the fire....
These users thanked the author Woodsman Wannabe for the post:
DBX (Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:30 am)
Rating: 11.11%