Howdy from Chapel Hill/ Tyler area!

Introduce yourself. Location, reason you enjoy bushcraft, what brought you here.
squatch-watcher
Fair Weather Camper

Howdy from Chapel Hill/ Tyler area!

Post by squatch-watcher » Fri May 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi all! New to the Forum, been bushcrafting for 40 years from Oklahoma to Texas, Arizona to Tennessee and quite a few places in between. I enjoy building and tinkering, the last decade I got a little sedentary and am looking to get back to dirttime now. Looking for meetups and voos mostly in Texas, but travel isn't out of the question. Mostly looking for like-minded people to hike, camp or hammock with, learn new things and maybe remember some forgotten things. I like anything from modern ultralight to 1800s primitive. Nice to meet y'all :D !

BigJesse
Site Admin

Re: Howdy from Chapel Hill/ Tyler area!

Post by BigJesse » Fri May 03, 2019 5:45 pm

You came to the right place. We have meets pretty regularly. Welcome!

jeffro
Camp Curmudgeon Chief Chef

Post by jeffro » Fri May 03, 2019 7:22 pm

Howdy and welcome from the Rocky Hollow in Georgetown,Texas.
Conjugus non unum

YoungBlacksmith
Wet Tinder

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Sat May 04, 2019 7:51 am

Hello Squatch-watcher! Welcome! I'm just down the road between Turnertown and Henderson.
Aaron

"G.W. Sears would not have tolerated MRE's, that is not what Woodcraft and Camping is all about." - Jeffro

squatch-watcher
Fair Weather Camper

Post by squatch-watcher » Sat May 04, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks for the greetings Jesse, Jefro and Blacksmith! Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Meets, they sound like fun. Hey Blacksmith, I might need to talk to you sometime, I have a hot steel anvil I've been itching to use and I'll need advice on how to set up my forge...

YoungBlacksmith
Wet Tinder

Post by YoungBlacksmith » Sun May 05, 2019 7:53 am

A little known secret, I haven't hit hot iron for about 10 years now. We moved out here to a little 650 sq ft cabin in the woods, and I've been in construction mode. Once the house is finished I can start on a forge, which I hope will be less than 5 years from now. But, I've always got an opinion on how to set up a shop/forge/hot work area. I've worked at several shops in DFW when I was a member of the local blacksmithing group. We would rotate around 10 or so shops a year, some repeats, some new areas as shops opened and closed. Two of my favorites were the shop at the Grapevine Depot and the shop at the Heritage Park. Grapevine was a nice open shop with two work areas around one forge. Heritage Park was an early 1800's manual bellows, rock forge and chimney. Just large enough for two people to stand and do some heavy work.
Aaron

"G.W. Sears would not have tolerated MRE's, that is not what Woodcraft and Camping is all about." - Jeffro

squatch-watcher
Fair Weather Camper

Post by squatch-watcher » Tue May 14, 2019 3:42 am

Hey, that's cool Blacksmith! At least you have experience working different forges. With my zero experience, I'll take any ideas/info I can get! It's gonna be a little while tho', I'm in the same construction mode you are and I've been on my 'stead since '08. I have a new chicken house and pen to construct, a shed to put up, a car cover to attach to the garage, etc, etc. It never really ends :D I'm hoping for getting the forge up and ready to work around Fall-ish this year. We'll see :roll:
These users thanked the author squatch-watcher for the post (total 2):
YoungBlacksmith (Tue May 14, 2019 6:49 am) • BigJesse (Tue May 14, 2019 7:02 am)
Rating: 22.22%